Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt vs. celica

tysn

Hi, my name is tyson and i have a problem. i have a 1985 subaru xt turbo fwd and this car has been in the family for about 6 years. love the car to death. my sister has just bought a 85 celica and my dad says it gets up a little faster that the xt. lol what do i need to do to change this? keep in mind i am a poor college student. i am having problems gettign on xt6.net so i thought i would come here.

major service maintenance on the providers end at xt6.net, they will be down for approx 24 hours from the time they started...but i don't know when that is except to say it was before 9pm thursday night sometime. there are a few XT turbo owners there, so you should have some good info. some are members here too and it's the same EA82T motor that is in all the other late 80's subaru's so lots of people here will have input. search or look for posts regarding the EA82T, that's your motor. subaru offered that in other models, but the motor is the same as far as youre concerned .

it's always a good idea to make sure the car is running as close to 100 percent as possible. ignition is huge - plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil. have you replaced any of that recently? i'd recommend doing it all at the same time. better performance, gas mileage and peace of mind in my position. but i was in college one time too......

you don't have heavy items in the car do you? extra weight will hinder you some. they don't make spares the size of pie pans for no reason.

i believe you can increase the boost very easily....read *cheap*. but i've never done it so i'm not sure how to do that....i recall something about installing a long hose to some other line and the length of the hose will dictate boost...blah blah blah, but i've never sat in or worked on a turbo so i don't know specifics. i heard this from john in ky and he definitely knows his turbo subarus so it can be done even if what i said makes ZERO sense.

if you have a welder, do the exhaust work yourself. i took the old exhaust into a shop that has exhaust pipe and had them bend it for me and i welded it in place. that's easy and should help from what i've read about turbo's (thanks kevin). in college i bought a muffler and had a guy install it with larger pipe for 35 dollars. keep your eyes out for an honest guy not trying to rip you off and you can get it done cheap. he used to own an XT6, so i think he was excited to do the work.

you could install a larger intercooler from some other car. get a used one cheap and install it yourself and it shouldn't cost too much.

if your HLA's (lifters, valve train) are noisey at all, i'd address that. the familiar tapping noise of a subaru can kill power as it prevents the valves from operating properly. and the valves are what allow your motor to *breathe*....ahhhh....

it's always a good idea to make sure the car is running as close to 100 percent as possible. ignition is huge - plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil. have you replaced any of that recently? i'd recommend doing it all at the same time. better performance, gas mileage and peace of mind in my position. but i was in college one time too......
I've always read about this in magazines before they began a project on some older vehicles. I'm in this process as of now. Even little things like oil leaks and such.....get everything running in tip-top shape. It may seem like hell and you want to have fun now but it'll pay off big time once the mods come later rather than sooner.

Also, I have this thing I call 'smart mods'. Things like purchasing an oil cooler, tranny cooler, intercooler, professional fuel injection cleaning, synthetic oil, etc. All these things aren't necessarily power adders (well, an intercooler works wonders) but it helps big time in preserving your engine, tranny and other stuff. Once the boost starts going up, things that may have been a major problem (like heat in the tranny, engine bay area, etc) is kepted in check or significantly reduced. You'll be thanking yourself for doing things like this, especially after watching someone else just start turning up boost and letting it rip. Just some thoughts!

your dad might jsut be driving it wrong... if you know what i mean. the turbo car needs to get into boost before it makes power. the celica... in 85 i htink they were efi 22r engines. 2.2 in line. cast iron block. they made at least 100 hp with no turbo. so its gonna have more low end torq, and have more power where most peepl drive. rev her high, and you will prolly beat that celica.

my gfs, 92 celica would almost keep up with my xt6.

your dad might jsut be driving it wrong... if you know what i mean. the turbo car needs to get into boost before it makes power. the celica... in 85 i htink they were efi 22r engines. 2.2 in line. cast iron block. they made at least 100 hp with no turbo. so its gonna have more low end torq, and have more power where most peepl drive. rev her high, and you will prolly beat that celica.

my gfs, 92 celica would almost keep up with my xt6.

you really may be onto somthing when talking about driving style. the 22re is actually a 2.4L motor the 20r was the 2.2. thats a good deal more displacement in a motor designed to make torque. low end on the celica will always pull better.

and like stated already. if you want to go faster it can be done you just need to start buying the right parts. If I could only pick two things to tell you.(Im assumeing your car is running just fine) I would say intercooler and better flowing exhaust. wont hurt the car at all but your performance will be noticably better.

Don't forget the ea82 has a distributor, and it can be easily adj. for peak advance curve. Believe it or not my old '88 fwd xt non turbo took an old datsun 260 z for the first half mile, " I had the hold it in first 4eat when it hit about 7 grand i'd flip the button to hit 2nd gear and the 260 z had fun catching me "the z had a manual." Anyway 97 horse never felt better!