Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81t manual conversion on RHD

Ross

I have been busy all weekend with the manual conversion, and all has gone well apart from one thing: The clutch cable is resting against the turbo! I presume most of you that have done this conversion were working with left hand drive vehicles, and would not have run into this. Has anyone done the conversion on a RHD vehicle?

The only thing i can think of to do is tie the cable as far away from the turbo as possible, and wrap some lagging around it. Any other solutions?

Also, have those of you that have done the conversion made brackets for both of the factory exhaust mounts to the gearbox, or will just one do?

Sorry... all mine are LHD.

Does your turbo still have all of its heat shielding? How about the spare tire mount? Are any of these in a good place to secure the cable?

Which mount do you have, the one along the side of the downpipe near the cat, or the one mounted on the tranny crossmember that supports the tail end of the downpipe?

Heat sheilding is all there, but there is realy no way to tie it out of the heat, as there is so little room. I have run the cable in some shiney 40mm aluminium flexible ducting, so i will see how that goes.

At the moment, i only have the exhaust mount that attaches to the rear of the gearbox.

Does that mean that the gearbox doesn't have a mount bolt-hole/boss near the stub-axle area? Or does the downpipe not have a mount ear?

The downpipe has it's mount still. the Gearbox has a large bolt around 30 mm from where the mount bolts to the auto, but i am reluctant to remove it before finding out what it is. The ea81 gearboxes do not have a mount intended for a turbo downpipe.