Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto-tranny Seal Damage After Towing?

I'm more familiar with the Older Gens than the Legacy, and although I did some searching I didn't find any references to my problem.

I am looking (long-distance) at buying a 90 Legacy AWD automatic that the owner claims has a leaking transmission seal caused by improper towing. So far, all I have gotten is that the mechanic told him that the "main seal" was blown, and the owner says that it will drive if you keep adding ATF, but it leaks out quickly. I am trying to determine from the owner where the fluid is dripping from, front or rear, but this may take a while. Long-distance via email...

Anyway, IF this is the seal on the tail-housing, what is the likelyhood that this car would be drivable if I removed the driveshaft, plugged the tail housing, and inserted the FWD fuse?

I would keep looking. There are a lot of good deals out there that do not have these kinds of issues right off the bat. What is meant by "long distance"? and how will it be towed to you? When you factor in the towing, it drives the cost of the car up considerably. . .

Better to buy one that can be driven now. . .

I would keep looking. There are a lot of good deals out there that do not have these kinds of issues right off the bat. What is meant by "long distance"? and how will it be towed to you? When you factor in the towing, it drives the cost of the car up considerably. . .

Better to buy one that can be driven now. . .

Price is right, and I will likely be there after an opposite direction tow. Don't need it to be driven now, and can connect with a tranny if that is needed.

Unless you can find me a good condition Legacy Sedan AWD auto for $100... :)

I'm more familiar with the Older Gens than the Legacy, and although I did some searching I didn't find any references to my problem.

I am looking (long-distance) at buying a 90 Legacy AWD automatic that the owner claims has a leaking transmission seal caused by improper towing. So far, all I have gotten is that the mechanic told him that the "main seal" was blown, and the owner says that it will drive if you keep adding ATF, but it leaks out quickly. I am trying to determine from the owner where the fluid is dripping from, front or rear, but this may take a while. Long-distance via email...

Anyway, IF this is the seal on the tail-housing, what is the likelyhood that this car would be drivable if I removed the driveshaft, plugged the tail housing, and inserted the FWD fuse?

Are you going to buy that Legacy in Lancaster PA area? It is a fairly salt free area as they don't get the snow they used to. There is some, but not like there used to be when I lived back in PA 15 years ago.

Sounds like a decent car. If you can get it back for cheap it is worth it. If you get to Nebraska and it dies, for $100 you paid for it tell the tow truck to take it to the nearest junkyard and rent a car the rest of the way.

Greg

Not sure if it is the same one... is Abbottstown in the Lancaster area? Mistyped price... should be 200 not 100. Maybe just wishful thinking. :)

It turns out that it is at a dealership, so not sure how to deal LD with them. Supposed to call there mechanic and find out what he thinks is the problem. And after all of the bad weather posts today I am beginning to wonder if I am insane or not. :grin:

dude, if that is definetly the problem just install a new rear oil seal for like 7 dollars. with the driveshaft removed the seal will be right there. without the axle in place a good amount of fluid will come out. i've seen a car running without any driveshaft in place and the fluid pressure didn't seem all that high, decent volume though. i think you could easily fabricate some kind of a cap to place over it. i think some heavy duty plastic/rubber wrapped around it with a hose clamp around the extension housing would probably suffice. (but i'd have a couple spares just in case!) i recommend a better set up, but i'd be comfortable getting that to work myself.

i replaced a driveshaft a few years ago and the old seal just didn't seat well against the new driveshaft. it leaked, but i drove it for awhile like that. just keep checking and adding ATF. then i put in a new seal and problem was gone.

if i lived a little closer i'd say PM me and i'd go replace the seal or look at it for you, but it's about an hour and i'm one busy freak.

Thanks GG. They actually make tranny caps, and I have a set. They are meant for static situations, but nothing some duct tape and/or Yankee ingenuity can't handle!

How long are you going to be busy? This car was originally posted 2 months ago, so unless someone here buys it out from under me (*stink-eye*) *edit LOL j/k edit* it probably won't disappear soon. Although I would appreciate someone local looking at it, I am willing to take the risk on it. Looks like (if I get it) I will be tow-dollying it home (after pulling axles or driveshaft). I plan on "optimizing" my trip, so not quite as silly as it sounds.

i'm perpetually busy. why do you ask?

as luck would have it i may be headed past there tonight and/or tomorrow. actually i will definety be headed towards that direction tonight. i'm guessing you want me to look at it? only problem is i probalby won't have time to look at it on the way up, but possibly on the way home...but that will be later this evening, around 8 or 9 pm, they'll likely be closed then.

i'll PM you.

Just got off the phone to the mechanic, and he said that he doesn't know where the "towing damage" idea came from, but he hasn't heard a cause. He did say that it was the front pump seal. At least this tells me that I am not driving it away under its own power. Tow or cut bait...