Ultimate Subaru Message Board

15 inch rims!!!

Roundeye

Got some Toyota 4x4 15x6 rims from the local JY. I chose to drill the rim rather than the hub as the rims are about 1/8 inch thicker than the hub. Easy mod!! Drilled the holes to 1/2 inch then used a taper bit (to center the lug nuts). Total cost : $79.00.

This picture is with them installed on a '87 D/R 4WD Wagon with NO LIFT. The tires are 215/75/15 (27"). Minor scrubing. This combo WILL NOT WORK without lift. Tires will have too much contact with fenders off road. (Looks cool though). I had to put my old wheels back on until I get OZIFIED:banana: (coming SOON).

484047_36_full.jpg

That looks good!

I have considered drilling some 6 lug rims for a 15" wheel and more offset. Was this a pretty easy procedure? Did you use a drill press?

Very easy. 30-45 min for 5 rims. Took an extra hub and knocked out 2 studs accross from easch other, bolt it up to the rim and mark the holes. Started off with a 1/8" bit and stepped up a few sizes each time until I got to 1/2". Slightly tapered each hole (3/4" taper bit) and GO! I used a 1/2" hand-held drill. Mine has a built-in level on it and I was drilling the rim on a known-level surface, so the holes turned out true. TIP: Use a drill with an extra handle and HOLD ON. Things can get nasty when that 1/2" bit grabs!

BTW: Thats a nice Wagon you've got there! And Turbo to boot! :slobber:. Where did you get the roof rack?

This combo WILL NOT WORK without lift. Tires will have too much contact with fenders off road. (Looks cool though).

Sure they will... didn't you notice? they are on your car and work! :lol: Cut those pretty little fenders and bust out the BFH :-p

How much backspacing is on those rims?

Looks good man! Really filled up those fenders nice :brow: Can't wait to see it on a BYB lift !_!

i have some 15" rims just waiting for the tires to be removed so i can put some new ones on, only problem is the tires i have a huge so i will need a lift bad.http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2456&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

You would need aloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot of lift for those:drunk:

Nice Wagon. Really like the color.:D

i have 225/60's that will be going on them, any clue how much i'll need to use the sawzall, and sledge?

btw, i'm stock height ea81

guy i know used to run 225/50 yokohamas on a standard brumby/brat back in the mid 80s on a set of 15x7" rims altered to bolt on the subaru hub,don't know about what backspacing he was running.

he did remember that the lowprofile rubber was rudely expensive at the time.....what he was payed for one tyre for the brumby would put rubber under all 4 corners of the landcruiser he also had at the time