Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lets talk about MAF's

WJM

While it probably works over the same output voltage range (most likely 0-5VDC), I doubt it shows the same voltage as the stock unit for the same flow, so without reprogramming the ECU I really doubt it would work. Just a guess tho.

Gary

Hrrm, just think of this.

Suppose that for 'x' amount of flow the EA82T shows 2 volts. If you switched to a Legacy Maf and its 2 volts was equal to 'x+20cfm' or something like that, your range of cfm before getting to 4.7 volts or so would be broader. This would broaden your range before hitting fuel cut wouldn't it? :brow: Try it out! If you don't, I know I will someday. Woot!

I would only do it if you have a really good EGT sensor and gauge in. If the engine is getting more air than the ECU thinks then it will run lean and you could destroy the motor. I would tend to think that this is the situation you would run into, since the Legacy MAF is setup for a 16 valve 2.2 which moves a good bit more air then our 8 valve 1.8s.

Give it a try if you can, but be careful and listen hard for detonation/pinging.

Keith

Hrrm, just think of this.

Suppose that for 'x' amount of flow the EA82T shows 2 volts. If you switched to a Legacy Maf and its 2 volts was equal to 'x+20cfm' or something like that, your range of cfm before getting to 4.7 volts or so would be broader. This would broaden your range before hitting fuel cut wouldn't it? :brow: Try it out! If you don't, I know I will someday. Woot!

Problem is that the ECU would be providing fuel based on the flow (voltage) it sees and would be very lean, if it would run at all.

Gary

Can i use a 1st gen legacy MAF on an 87+ turbo EA82T setup?

If the leg MAF sensor works over the same voltage range as the EA82T one *AND* you used the matching legacy injectors it might work. Maybe.

If the leg MAF gives a lower voltage for the same air mass flow, being designed to allow for a heavier-breathing engine, then the ECU would signal a shorter injector pulse. If you used higher CC injectors in theory you would end up injecting the correct amount of fuel, and have more headroom for more power.

If the leg MAF sensor works over the same voltage range as the EA82T one *AND* you used the matching legacy injectors it might work. Maybe.

If the leg MAF gives a lower voltage for the same air mass flow, being designed to allow for a heavier-breathing engine, then the ECU would signal a shorter injector pulse. If you used higher CC injectors in theory you would end up injecting the correct amount of fuel, and have more headroom for more power.

This is one approach. Another approach would be to get a RRFPR (Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator). This would help out at wide open throttle (WOT) situations. Around town driving is something else altogether. Perhaps an SAFC would work. I like the Legacy injector idea.

This is going to far though. Can anyone here post what the pinouts are on the Legacy maf sensor? You know, what is ground, what is the hot wire, etc. This would be a starting point to figuring this out. I'll ask around and see if I can post up a pic or something.

If someone has an FSM they can scan, if they could post a pic of EA82Ts maf sensor's pinouts, that would be helpful also. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This is a scanned pic out of an XT6 FSM. It shows the XT6s maf sensor and what each corresponding wire is/means.

mini-airflowmeter.jpg

I posted this up in an attempt to use an SVX Maf sensor from this thread:

http://www.xt6.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1862&start=0

Perhaps a note or pic of the voltage range would be helpful as well.

• 9 months later...
Can i use a 1st gen legacy MAF on an 87+ turbo EA82T setup?

No you can't, I've learned allot doing my E-Manage install and the 87 Hotwire MAF is NOT a standard 0-5V MAF its actually a 0-10V system, therefore if you switch to a Standard 0-5V MAF it will run really lean around 3500rpm and up (ive tried it)

Only solution is to use the E-Manage with a Pressure Sensor or a Megasquirt and Elliminate it.

that means SAFC is out, period.

back to the drawing board.

Yeah I ditched my S-AFC-II Project after I found this out, whenever I got on boost around 10psi it went super lean and engine went PIIING PIIING BAD!

No thanks.

I didn't spend $3k on my engine to blow it up so easy.

No you can't, I've learned allot doing my E-Manage install and the 87 Hotwire MAF is NOT a standard 0-5V MAF its actually a 0-10V system, therefore if you switch to a Standard 0-5V MAF it will run really lean around 3500rpm and up (ive tried it)

Only solution is to use the E-Manage with a Pressure Sensor or a Megasquirt and Elliminate it.

Now this is making sense to me. I'm thinking the XT6 has the 1-12V (or 1-10V) setup as well. I installed an SAFC on my XT6 a while back and reported to the XT6 folks. The car went WAY lean on the top end. This not only happened with my Apexi SAFC but also with my Simple Field Hyper SFC as well. I'll post a dyno plot with Field Hyper fuel controller turned on and turned off in a moment.

The Apexi SAFC unit was printed out and not in a .drf dyno file format so I do not have that to show the results. I was tuning my FWD XT6 at a dragstrip (Cecil County Raceway) that just happened to have a mobile dyno there that night. The results were printed out and those papers are gone.

Edit...actually found my old runs I did with the SAFC at the dragstrip. I scanned the pics and posted them up at XT6.net a while back.

mini-Dyno1.JPG

mini-Dyno2.JPG

Rest of them:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/thomasck/DynoRuns/XT6/Old/mini-Dyno3.JPG

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/thomasck/DynoRuns/XT6/Old/mini-Dyno4.JPG

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/thomasck/DynoRuns/XT6/Old/mini-Dyno5.JPG

Here is the Field Hyper SFC fuel controller turned on vs it being turned off testing on the dyno. Turned on caused the XT6 to go lean on all geards from 1st to gear the higher the rpm went in that gear.

mini-fuelonvsfueloff_173.jpg

With the SFC turned off, I was testing the affect of fuel pressure being raised/lowered so that is why the two identical lines are red and blue. One setting had a higher fuel pressure than another setting. Fuel was controlled much better with fuel pressure than the SFC.