Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I replaced my coolant temp sender today, no big deal. I removed the alternator to get to it, and once it was done everything went back into place. So the car runs cool now, no overheating anymore. The only problem is as soon as I'd reconnected all the stuff, I started the car and the oil light came on. I had to disconnect the battery as a precaution when working with the alternator, so I'm wondering if its just something that needs to be reset. The oil pressure sender is intact, and the oil is at the right level and was just changed. I drove it a few miles and everything worked fine, no knocking, so I think its just the light being stuck on. Anyway, I'm at a loss here, so any help would be nice.

:banghead:

You may have knocked the wire off the oil pressure sending unit. Get under the bonnet and check all the connectors.

An open connection to the sender will trigger the light.

Ok, I'll double check it, but I believe all the wires are connected. The oil pressure sending unit is the one right by the coolant one, right? If that isnt whats causing it, what else could it be?

Erm, no. Those two sensors are both for the coolant temp. One for your dashboard gauge, one for the ECU.

Never had trouble with an oil pressure sensor on a sube before, so I don't know for sure where they are. However, if you poke around the top of the block you should be able to find it. It'll look like the water temp sensor thingy.

(It's not the knock sensor that lives under the throttle body. Black ring.)

The oil pressure sender is right below and behind the aternator. You probably disconnected it when you removed or reinstalled the alt.

So when I'm looking at the alternator from the front, its the one directly below it?

And just a while ago, the stupid car started its overheating crap again...I think it was maybe the cheapo thermostat in it, but I'm not totally sure.