Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My check engine light came on and a scan revealed a bad coolant temperature sensor. How hard could that be to replace, right? Where is the blasted thing located on my 96 Legacy Outback with a 2.2, 5 speed? I'm kind of new at this, so thanks for your help.

My check engine light came on and a scan revealed a bad coolant temperature sensor. How hard could that be to replace, right? Where is the blasted thing located on my 96 Legacy Outback with a 2.2, 5 speed? I'm kind of new at this, so thanks for your help.

Well, I just did the one on my car, and since it would appear you have the same engine, the temp sensor on your car should be located below and to the left of your alternator, which has to come out to get at the sensor. But really, its a fairly simple task, just remember the order in which you took things out. And the sensor should run you like $7 or so at a parts store.

The sensor is to the left of the coil pack and tucked way down underneath some PCV hoses and two big wiring harnesses. Hard to find the first time. Search the forum. There are pictures out there. A bad CTS should cause you to be having hard starting (turns over, but won't fire up the way it should). About $30.