Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 gl-10 awd will not turn rear wheels

Which transmission is in it?

In 88 the only transmission that automatically engage the rear wheels is the 4-speed automatic know as the 4EAT, and that's if it was available that year. I can't remember if they came out in 88, 89 or 90.

If you have the full time 4wd 5-speed, it has an open center diff and you need to lock it to maintain an even distribution of power to the front and rear. The switch to lock the diff is on the center counsel.

If you have either a 4wd 5-speed or 3-speed automatic there is a button on the shifter that you need to press to engage the 4wd.

Some GL10 only came with 2wd, are you sure that you have running gear in the back?

Can anyone give me a quick run down on how the awd engages the rear wheels when the front wheels slip. I need help hints in trouble shooting this problem. What are the parts to this system and there locations on the car?

Thankyou for the help

cstrohschein

i take it your car has the 4spd automatic full time 4wd. are the rear wheels locking up or just not engaging? there is a fuse under the hood that when installed it disengages the 4wd, runs in Fwd. make sure there in no fuse there, and there is no bad wires. the fuse should be by along the firewall

the rear wheels are electrically activated by haydraulic fluid against a clutch pack. also there is an ecm that controlls the 4spd auto.

just to give you details so you know where to direct your questions. i would assume the car is turbo and also has air suspension, am i correct?

i take it your car has the 4spd automatic full time 4wd. are the rear wheels locking up or just not engaging? there is a fuse under the hood that when installed it disengages the 4wd, runs in Fwd. make sure there in no fuse there, and there is no bad wires. the fuse should be by along the firewall

the rear wheels are electrically activated by haydraulic fluid against a clutch pack. also there is an ecm that controlls the 4spd auto.

just to give you details so you know where to direct your questions. i would assume the car is turbo and also has air suspension, am i correct?

Yes you are right. I should have added more datails, so here we go. The rear wheels do not engage, there is no fuse installed and when I put one in the dashborad light comes on indicating FWD. I inspected the wiring in the dash and engine area and didn't see a problem. Can I have a hint on my next move? By the way thanks for the input.

Is this a recent problem? Has it been like this since you bought the car? Has your car been towed?(see towing thread for consequences)

IIRC, those trannies are something like a 90-10 split anyway, so unless you are in a low traction situation, you may not notice any power from the rear wheels.