Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MY00 Auto stuck in 3rd ?????

First of all, hi from Australia, specifically Victoria (south). I heard you guys were pretty keen on your Subees and got your URL from a member over at our little Aussie site OFFROADSUBARUS.com

and thought I'd drop by and seek some advice on an issue I developed today.

Bugger bugger bugger........

Did a little driving today, nothing too serious....

After all the harder techy climbing I was decending in 1st and noticed it was kinda jumping outa gear. Odd for a Auto. After a few minutes I noticed that the green POWER light (indicating the POWER mode for the transmission) was flashing and the car sounded like it was slipping a clutch (best comparison).

We kinda took it easy back to the tar and discovered that it is stuck in 3rd. Still have Reverse and Neutral but only 3rd.

When you take off, after about a second or two there is a bit of a shudder and it just cruises on, but definately in 3rd. I can't manually shift it at all.

Just 3rd....

The manual says this indicates the auto tranny system may not be working problem...... Hmmmm, kinda gathered that.

I am guessing it's kinda put itself in a limp mode maybe.

Anyway, just have to see the medic and hope for the best. :slobber:

Just got a call from the mech.

Busted a Duty Valve in the tranny - something like that but not the Duty Solenoid C - no confusion there, definately a valve controlling line pressure.

Busted 1 of 7.

Initially around AUD$270 for the valve but he won't guarentee thats the entire issue although he can't see anything wrong with the naked eye. He said put away about AUD$500 overall..... Learnt a big lesson. It's obvious the tranny took a solid knock or two.

Hopefully that is the problem and we're on our way....

No part till Monday though.

Not outa the woods quite yet

"Not outa the woods quite yet"

... and isn't that the kind of driving that got you where you are today?

I think Sube's are being designed now to accomodate the off-road experience only on the shoulder of the road and only as long as it takes to change a flat tire (tyre if you misspell it).

G'luck

"Not outa the woods quite yet"

... and isn't that the kind of driving that got you where you are today?

I think Sube's are being designed now to accomodate the off-road experience only on the shoulder of the road and only as long as it takes to change a flat tire (tyre if you misspell it).

G'luck

I know where you are coming from. I have not owned any other Subee bar this Forester and have seen and heard of older Subees going hard and coming out on top.

Although I do agree with your statement I still think the main issue with my car is ground clearance. Full stop. It's ability to apply traction is amazing sometimes but what has got me here is the lack of experience and I was going a bit hard on the day, although I don't really recall taking a really hard knock at any one time.

But, yeah, I agree.... The younger Subees are definately "soft-roaders" and I need to remember that.

I feel really guilty, like I've ridden a horse off a cliff :-\

Must lift

Must lift

Must lift

:headbang: