Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Gasket Questions

lower intake manifold and head gaskets are all that are necessary. the exhaust manifold gaskets are extremly resilient, so i doubt you'll need those. i replaced head gaskets twice on my XT6 (did it wrong the first time grr....), still using the original 207,000 mile exhaust gaskets and header with no leaks.

wise to replace the cam carrier reinforced o-ring as well. 2.45 from the dealer (or thepartsbin.com) and you only need 2, one for each side.

just did an EA82 last summer, very easy if you've never done it. wasn't bad at all. i'm used to the 6 cylidner ER27, the 4 cylinders are much faster and more room to work with. could easily do this in less than a day without air tools.

1stsubaruparts.com Call them rather than ordering online.

Use ONLY subaru headgaskets and intake manifold gaskets. As was mentioned, replace the cam carrier O-rings. Use Permatex Anaerobic Sealant to seal between the cam carriers and heads. Since you've got the cam carriers off, you should do the cam seals since they are prone to leakage. Also, remember to get rocker cover gaskets.

The cam carrier o-ring goes between the cam housing and the head and povides a positive path for the oil for the cam.

The o-ring is about 3/4 of an inch and is steel reinforced. You may need to be persistant when talking to a dealer parts hand to make sure you get the right one, and not a cam holder o-ring.....

Hush