Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about front aftermarket speakers

Been trying to succesfully install some new speakers into the doors of my loyale...but I've had some problems, like the tweeter in my coaxes pushing against the grill. After cutting the grill out, I still have the slight problem that the rubber ring around the top part of the speaker (the one that sort of dampens the speaker cone when it hits) is pressed up against the plastic of the door trim.

I was wondering if this constitutes a problem, like premature speaker wear, or if others have thought up other ways of mounting the speakers.

Mount the speaker to the door (like OEM), not the panel, you'll get a lot more clearance that way.

I just put larger (5 1/4") co-axe speakers in the front of my RX, screwed them right in the pocket in the door, left the mosture shield and all. I really should replace the stock grills with larger ones but for now they sound fine.

Good luck

Gary

Hmm, my Loyale has 6 1/2 inchers, which need a lot more clearance. I'm thinking of just cutting the hole larger until it clears the speaker. Here's what it looks like now:

8324DSCN0653.jpg

You can see on the right side how it rests against the inner frame which as ballitch mentioned, sucks. But one way or the other I'm not getting as much bass as my rear speakers which have the whole trunk to fill with sweet double bassdrum solos :headbang: