Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vortec motor in Brat?

skishop69

I was just wondering if anyone makes an adapter to go from the 4.3 Vortec to the early '80s 5spd 4wd trans (from the EA82). I have a spare Vortec lying in the shop and got to thinking. I took measurements, and if I install the 6" lift, the motor will fit nicely. Although, I will have to relocate the radiator down and forward. I could fab the adapter myself, but it's nice to bolt and play instead of design, fab, break, re-design, etc....

Thats a great post ballitch. You trying to up that post count huh??

Well, I don't know oh any adaptor either, but it sounds like a lok of fun. What does the vortec come out of, show you how much I know :-\.

And no!, I'm not just trying to get my post count up, I really want to know what this vortec is :-p :D

I need to get into the making things world, sounds fun!

Check out KEP, Kennedy engineering products online. They make all kinds of adapters for just about every popular motor to adapt to VW. I would guess from the extensive list of adapters and the popularity of their products that if they don't have something that will work they could make it for you. Since they have adapter kits to swap subaru engines to VW it would not be a strech to do what you are trying.

Mr. BowTiebaru

one word fits

sacrilege

I must be one of these Mr. BowTiebaru guys too lol. Your best bet would be to get a 4wd tranny from a Blazer or truck and adapt that to fit into the Brat instead of trying to use the 5-speed. Would be easier to do BUT you'd have to hang a rear diff from a Subaru in the front. There's a few people with lifts who have done the whole rear diff in the front thing. I have seen a gen 1 Brat with a 2.8L carbed motor in it and it roasted the stock tranny in it so I don't know if that 5-speed would hold the power from that v6. Subarubrat here on the board and also at www.subarubrat.com has a 2.7L flat 6 from an XT6 in his gen 2 Brat with lots of power and the 5-speed seems to be doing fine. He is one of the rear diff guys like I mentioned earlier. If you're looking to go for easiness compared to "Well will this work? Will this hold? Am I doing this right?" then you might want to consider the stock tranny from the Blazer. At least the tranny will be able to hold the power form that motor. I'm planning on dropping a 350 into my gen 1 Brat with a Borg-Warner 5-speed but I'm also putting a full frame from a Nissan truck underneath it too and its going to be only RWD. Sounds like you got yourself a challenge! Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

The thing about the vortec is the torque, fair bit higher than an ea27.

150 HP - 235 Torque / 4.3L V6 TBI

195 HP - 260 Torque / 4.3L V6 CPFI Vortec (Blazer only)

They are a good motor, pretty reliable, good'ish milage, but heavy too.

i think you guys are a little off on the hp #'s the tbi 4.3 is closer to 120 hp.

as for an adapter check out advancedadapters, i know they sell tranny adapters for putting a 4.3 in a toyota as well as for several other cars, not sure about soobs but its worth a try. i can tell you though its not gonna be cheap to do the swap though the bellhousing adapter alone is gonna cost you about $300 +, and if you are gonna be willing to spend the money needed to do that swap you might as well just drop a sb 350 in it since you are just talking a few more inches longer and it is the bellhousing bolt pattern as a a 4.3 anyways.