Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Tires Not Riding Straight

I noticed a long time ago what one of my rear tires doesn't ride straight up and down anymore. It kicks out noticible faurther than the left one. I've seen on other EA82 wagons where BOTH rear tires kick way out; like a Baja buggy with lots of + camber.

Why for does this happen? Havent quite figured it out myself :( Yes, I've crawled under there an looked :P WJM's bushing post got me thinking that maybe its the rear trailing arm bushings?

It sounds to me like you might have tweeked somthing. Get underneath the car(if you have access to a lift even better)and compare how everthing looks from the right side and the left side. If any thing is tweeked it should be obvious, from your discription, it is quiet noticable just by loooking at the rear tires.

the 3 bolts that bolt on the outside portion of the trailing arm can pivot if you bounce off something too hard. The position of this determines camber. Likely these are out of whack. You gotta undo the bolts and reposition. The bolts are hell to get loose though, I had to use the torch to get the captive nuts red hot. You should be able to see that its rotated, because you'll see a silhouhette in the undercoating/rust that shows the old position. Hope this helps.

The strut in the back isnt a strut really, it doesnt have anything to do with suspension geometry. Changes in ride height will change camber due to the design of the trailing arms. Sagged springs on the rear strut could cause this, but you'd notice because the car will look its draggin its rump roast.

the 3 bolts that bolt on the outside portion of the trailing arm can pivot if you bounce off something too hard. The position of this determines camber. Likely these are out of whack. You gotta undo the bolts and reposition. The bolts are hell to get loose though, I had to use the torch to get the captive nuts red hot. You should be able to see that its rotated, because you'll see a silhouhette in the undercoating/rust that shows the old position. Hope this helps.

The strut in the back isnt a strut really, it doesnt have anything to do with suspension geometry. Changes in ride height will change camber due to the design of the trailing arms. Sagged springs on the rear strut could cause this, but you'd notice because the car will look its draggin its rump roast.

Excellent info; I'll check the outer arms and see if they have tweaked.

Doesnt apear to my worthless eyes that one corner is sitting lower than the other; but that's nto saying much. I'll bust out the tape measure and see if one bumper corner is lower than another.