Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new axle question

I feel bad no one has posted yet -

you will have to repack your front wheel bearings when you do it - that is what is most important as far as what you should grease -

!remember to keep grease away from all brake hardware!

I know axles can be a real pain to get out, but I have not yet had to change one myself

It would also help to use a little "never seeze" grease on the stub axles before sliding on the DOJ; it'll prevent rust in the future which will make it hard to remove the axle next time. Also, note the champered hole on the axle and make sure it matches the champered hole on the stub axle. If you install the DOJ 180 degrees out, the roll pin won't go in because the holes will not line up. Also, knock out the roll pin from the non-champered side; and re-install the pin (preferably a new one altho I've never used new without problems) only from the champered side. I think if you check the repair manual section there's a write up for doing the 4WD drive axles; same procedure works for the 2WD version. Good luck with the install.

Installing new axle in my 92 loyale 2wd. What all do I need to grease. And any other things I need to do know?