Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 86 Brat with 66K original miles

Hi everyone,

Many of you dont know me, but i've been around for awhile specially in the legacycentral network. Last year after "drewling" for this car for about 2 years, i finally puurchased my 86 brat from my neighbor. The car was sitting on the side of the house for about 5 years and not being used, till one day i decided to stop by this guy's house and ask him if he would sell the piece of junk to me. Well it turns out that is not a piece of junk, its all original and it sonly got 66K original miles. Offcourse living by the NJ shore the car is a bit rusty, so last summer i started my work, i cleaned the car out, got the wipers working again, some of the rust out, the engine running again, new exhaust, and many other things, so i put the car on the road again. After having fun the whole fall time and winter, she's now sitting in my drive way waiting for more repairs (starter and new tires with PUG 15" wheels). This spring she'll receive a paint job, originally she was red and crazy me decided to paint it black!!!! yikes! well its a great little car, i love subarus, I've only owned subarus, few audis too, but never gave up the subies. I currently own 4 subarus 93 legacy ss 85k miles, 90 legacy wagon 201K miles, 96 impreza 130k miles and my gem 86 brat EA 81 DR 4WD 66K miles. Well here is a link to the pics http://www.thawa.net/gallery/Neos-Cars.

Thanks for reading

Neo

Neo, that is a fine Brat. Amazing that it's still intact in the NJ air. I grew up in Irvington, Union and lived in South Orange, Dover and Rockaway before I moved out of state. I still miss old friends from that area; especially my old rally buddies. Best of luck with the Brat; looks like she was fortunate to find someone who appreciates her.

Nice Fleet! The Legacy looks really nice for its age, I like the hood scoop thing you got there, what is that? it do anything? Like the Impreza in the snow pic's too.

What hood scoop, thats the legacy Turbo, its got the scoop, the thing under the hood is a intercooler, the car is a menace, really fast.

Neo

Now for a historical discussion:

The front half of that Brat is identical to my '84 wagon, but it is my understanding that the wagon bodies were redesigned in '85, with sharper corners and bigger headlights etc. Did Subaru keep that body style on the brat for a few more years?

yeh the brat/brumby stayed ea81 body style and never got the sharper corners of the ea82 and was made upto 1994. Oh yeh and there the previous gen body styles aswell.

They still had ea81s in them too i think. Now that would be a find - 1 '94 ea81!