Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all.

We brought in from the U.S. a 1995 Subaru Legacy L 4Dr Sedan from my uncle in PA and we had a local Subaru dealership here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada install a module sensor to install daytime running lights on this vehicle in order to comply with Transport Canada regulations of having headlights on at all times of the day.

Well the Subaru dealer installed the module sensor and the daytime running lights work fine but now the high beams when turned on do not go out. They stay on. Usually you have to shut down the car and then restart in order for the high beams to go out. Also just the other day when washing the car using one of those self pressure spray washes with the car still running the high beams on the vehicle came on by themself while spraying the headlights.

This high beam issue was not an issue before the daytime running lights sensor was installed so I'm thinking could it have something to do with the module sensor installed by the dealer ? I'm taking back the car to the dealer who installed the sensor. I'm just worried they may relate this failure to something other then the module sensor.

Can anyone advise whether this installation of this module has anything to do with this high beam issue or could it be something else ?

Many thanks in advance

Tommy

I agree with you. It would seem that the module is latching the high beams on after they are turned on. Disconnection the module will prove that out. I would assume that by disconnecting the module the lights will still work as they normally did before the change. It seems to my they would only need to parallel the existing light system to make this work.

Thanks Cougar. i'll pass this info on to my brother-in-law since I have no automotive knowledge whatsoever. my only concern was that the Subaru dealership will attempt to charge for work that was their fault. When their hourly rate is $80 CND is kind of expensive when it comes to electrical diagnosis.