Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt tensioner/idler failures

My first post and first major repair to do on a sub. 1993 legacy 2.2AWD-136K. Car died at 70mph on the highway. Had it towed home. IT turned over but no start. I went right to the timing belt via the right side cover and found it very loose. The belt was replaced at 96K by my inlaws. I disassembled everything down to the damn crank:banghead: I found a reasonable sized hole behind the AC belt tensioner and something is serioulsly rattling in there when i wiggle the belt from the left. I assume it is one of the belt idlers or the tensioner itself broken off.

Until I get the pulley off i wanted to know what I might expect. Also what is the likelihood of this being fixable. Are the tensioner and idlerslers bolted to the block? Is this a common failure for this vintage subaru?

TIA

MATT

need to get in there and find out what happened. it's not that uncommon for pulley tensioners to fail on any make/model vehicle. though they can last 200,000 miles as well.

if the tensioner broke off, taking a piece of the block with it you have a difficult but not impossible to repair item. depends how bad it is as well. how much block material came off. you'll have to get a look and let us know.

if it's just sheared off, drill out the old bolt and install a new one and you're done. (probably need a right angle drill).

if it's actually broken off with part of the block being gouged out as well (seen this happen a few times) then it's a little more tricky but fixable. first if it's not bad and depending which bolt/pulley it is you could possible switch to a larger or longer bolt. typically the timing pulley bolt holes are longer than the actual bolts used. if you find a slightly longer bolt you can reach brand new unused threads. this would be ideal for a partial loss of block material. using helicoils may work depending how much material is lost.

if a significant amount of the block is missing, a machine shop can fabricate a large insert for you. the insert will have a larger outside diameter thread which will need to be drilled out of the block. then inside of this insert will be the original bolt size. can also be welded in place with the block removed and a good aluminium welder to install it. but easier in my oppinion to fabricate and install a screw in insert.

find the exact problem and post back.

need to get in there and find out what happened. it's not that uncommon for pulley tensioners to fail on any make/model vehicle. though they can last 200,000 miles as well.

if the tensioner broke off, taking a piece of the block with it you have a difficult but not impossible to repair item. depends how bad it is as well. how much block material came off. you'll have to get a look and let us know.

if it's just sheared off, drill out the old bolt and install a new one and you're done. (probably need a right angle drill).

I finally got the crank pulley off and found that only the bolt for the tensioner pulley on the upper left broke off cleanly:banana: . The area around the block looks OK- probably the best outcome.The cover has a small gash in it but I plan to leave it as is. I'll drill out the remaining bolt as grossgary suggested and get new bolts/tensioners all around: I don't want this happening again.

I turned the car over several times before realizing the problem so the cams are probably no longer in alignment with the crank. The crank is now at TDC on No1 cyl. Any suggestions on getting everything lined up again?

TIA

Matt

Not familiar with legacy engine but the big thing to watch for on the earlier model 82 engines was when you lined up your first cam ,the pinhole in line with the slot in the timing cover,lets call it the 12 o clock position ,your other cam was in the 6 o clock position..Both cams did not line up at the same time.There was a full turn of the engine between them.I dont know if yours has the same system,but its no harm to be aware and make sure.

Happy Easter.

Jude