Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How 2's for 6-lug drill out for 4-lug!!

Alright...

So what's the skinny on drilling out the 6-lug wheels to fit the 4-lug Subaru bolt pattern??

I've got easy access to plenty of 6-lug Toyota wheels(larger center hole than chevy 6-lug).... who's got the details PLUS pictures on doing this?!?!?

Since I am going to do this in the near future, I have done some research on this topic. The two methods that I am currently looking at are: Taking the rims to a machine shop, where they can put it on a machine that can turn that out in five minutes. I am also thinking about grabbing a brake drum, pounding out two opposing studs, bolting it up to the rim with the existing two studs, and using that as a guide. I'm sure there are other good ways to do it as well, which I would love to hear about.

I did mine by the second method you posted basically. I used a front hub with the diagonal studs knocked out. bolted it up to the Chevy 6 lug wheel, then from the back, used the hub as a drill guide. Just used my half inch hand held drill. be sure to have new bits handy, and use some cutting oil. helps if you are strong when doing it this way... I had some sore wrists from having the bit catch many times, and get the drill ripped out of my hands... nothing broken though...

then after the holes are drilled, use a die grinder to put the bevel on the holes from the front...

tbnew2.sized.jpg

just depends on how much you want the wheels to stick out... the Chevy wheels in the pic above set out quite a bit... don't know for sure the width of them, but they've got 30x9.50x15 tires on 'em... I think they set out about 4" past the cut fender

the toyota rims Qman has, set nicely...

I am currently planning on using 14" Chevy LUV truck rims. They may cause the tires to stick out too much, which could be an issue since my car has no lift. So far, the rims with the closest-to-stock offset that I have seen were on an early-nineties Isuzu pickup. If I can score a set of those cheap I'll use them, but since the chevy rims were free (found an abandoned truck in pieces), I'll probably just make those work.

I am going to re-drill EA81 front disks and EA82T rear disks for my 82 brat very soon.... I am a bit scared though as the rotor bolts on VERY close to where the holes will be drilled.. I am going the 6 lug route... I am running Dodge D50 / Mitsu rims with a toyota/nissan full size spare (whatever 15" rim I find cheap)