Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys.My 92 Legacy 2.2 AT FWD tranny broke 2 weeks ago.So i orderd a used one from junk yard for 530 bucks.When i got my "new" tranny home i found out ,the studs which are normally comming out of the diff arent there.Only two holes lookin at me on both sides of differential.

So ,questions:

1. Is it normall?

2.Can i just use studs from my old tranny .If so HOW?

4.Or just replaced whole diff?What i need to know to do that?

Sorry for my ENGLISH .Hope u understand what im talking about.

Thanks for help

I'll try to post some picures later

Just pull the splined stubs from the old differential. They will pull free. Only held in place by a weak snap ring. DON"T remove any of the bolts around the differential where the stubs insert. To reinstall in the "new" differential, just push them in until that snap ring clicks into place.

Ok, so here i am again.Guys can you please tell me how replace two sealings around transaxle studs? I just pull out old tranny and pull old studs but i need replace those sealings.They are from inside.So how to do this.The old ones are damaged.I tried remove the ring on the old tranny. It seems to hold in place by one bolt.Removed bolt but it still holding in place.

Help please......

th_IMG_0470Small.jpg

After removing the one bolt and retainer clip, the whole circular "teeth" retainer will spin off counter clockwise. You may need to buy a special spanner tool to remove it, or a truck spindle socket (see pic) or use a screw driver to catch two of the teeth and loosen. Mark the retainer to a reference point on the transmission or count the number of turns when you remove it. It must be reinstalled to the exact same depth, since there is a bearing race on the inside of the retainer.

You will need a new seal and a large o-ring pn #806730031.

post-4376-136027600352_thumb.jpg

post-4376-136027600359_thumb.jpg

post-4376-136027600362_thumb.jpg

Pull only one side at a time. Replace the seal and O-ring, lube the outside with light motor oil and carefully spin it in by HAND. The threads are very fine and can be cross threaded, Make sure the threads and bores are clean and free of any damage. Spin the assy in as you go so it does not cock in the trany. As pointed out mark a alignment point on the trany and housing.

Hi,guys.So thanks to u all my car is back on the road :drunk:

I bought both diff seals at NAPA and i didnt change the o-rings cose Subaru Dealer was able to got them in five days :rolleyes: .This is to long,car was 3 feets high and i cant wait.Now is all back together and its running well :cool:

I think this job(tranny swap) is not as difficult as i thought cose in this 91 Legacy AT is enough place to reach for all bolts and nuts.Only pain is remove the driveplate-to-torque bolts and then switch the tranny without any damage.

My first experience like this end up good.

Once again ,thanks a lot to all of you guys.Love this forum.

And Zefy i didnt try to stole your nick :lol: .In fact my is much better ;)

umm and here are some pics :banana:

Last ride

th_IMG_0153Small.jpg

work work work

th_IMG_0486Small.jpg

not high enough

th_IMG_0487Small.jpg

tranny out

th_IMG_0489Small.jpg

see throught car

th_IMG_0491Small.jpg

back on wheels

th_IMG_0495Small.jpg

I'll bet a Phase 1 headgasket that sregor13 was concerned about seeing only two wheels on the ground in tow, which is a big problem on AWD subies. Not a problem on your FWD one though, so that's my guess at the "what?" :)

Zeky:

Thanks for the well documented follow up, it's nice to have resolution and lots of threads just kinda trail off.

Steve

Yeah i gues u right :D

I'll bet a Phase 1 headgasket that sregor13 was concerned about seeing only two wheels on the ground in tow, which is a big problem on AWD subies. Not a problem on your FWD one though, so that's my guess at the "what?" :)

Zeky:

Thanks for the well documented follow up, it's nice to have resolution and lots of threads just kinda trail off.

Steve