Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-Hybrid

OK, so I'm looking at building a hybrid EA engine and I've got some questions.

I'm planning on an EA-81 long block with EA-82 SPFI intake and fuel management. The goal is to have a fun project that results in a strong running engine that gets good mileage, is reliable and that no one else has.

:brow:

so here are my questions:

1) clearly I have to use the EA81 heads. Are they similar enough to EA82 heads so as not to completely upset the computer in some way?

2) Are there any major differences in the stock cam grinds in the EA81 and 82? I'm sorta planning on having Delta Cam grind me a custom stick and I'm wondering if I should have them start with an EA81 grind, an EA82 grind or if there is, in fact, any difference at all.

3) Are there any sensors in odd places on the EA82 SPFI? I'm thinking its old enough that it should not have things like crank and cam position sensors. Looking for things that would make the swap just impossible.

4) What are the highest compression pistons that I can get for an EA engine? EA71? SPFI? I'd kinda like to have a static compression ratio somewhere just shy of 10:1.

The tentative plan in my head right now is EA71 pistons, EA-81 long block, EA-82 SPFI intake, fuel rail, harness and computer. I'm going to look into having the heads decked, then extrude honed. If EH is not feasible, then a simple polish job would probably be fine. Add in a custom cam and true dual exhaust I should be golden. I think. I don't know what goes into cam design, but I'm going to talk to Delta and try to get a cam with a grind that will let me get a bit more hp a little lower on the tach. I'm looking for a 100hp peak. 100hp, 150lbft. Or something reasonably close.

Any comments or other thoughts?

Aw, man! I was hoping for a thread on someone putting a Hybrid drivetrain (gas/electric, like the Prius & Insight) in their Subaru, and getting 60mpg + more power.

Good luck. If it helps any, my SPFI EA82 still has a distributor. I assume it's not doing anything fancy with the ignition system.

-=Russ=-

I was going to mention the compression that you could get from EA71 pistons but you got it.

you might consider sourcing the intake/injectors from an EA81T and run an MPFI...

ya, decked heads, and ea71 pistons, might make for 10.5 to 1... fun stuff

to make the ea81t stuff work, youd need the heads too, and then it gets all spensive, and the heads, probably lower the compression. as the turbo and na pistons were the same... afaik