Ultimate Subaru Message Board

one tuff engine

So I dug out a front clip of an EA82 wagon that was sittin hidden away at our yard. Covered in waist deep snow, I separated the engine and tranny, unbolted the engine mounts, drug the engine on a windshield 300 feet to the shop.

Let the engine thaw out for a night (It sat all winter with the air intake off the engine) The oil was clean.. no water in it at all.. Dumped some seafoam into the cylinders, put a new rear main seal on. Installed the engine, turned it over with the starter for 2 minutes with the plugs out, put in new plugs started up.. With the egr selinoid missing and one or two other selinoids.

After I get the car running, my boss tells me that engine hadnt ran in 5 years.

WOW!

• 8 months later...

Bought engine from recyle yard out of car that sat for two or three years owners didn't think it ran so i got it cheap (98.000) put it in turned by hand then starter then hooked coil up and it started on second turn. I have done this with other cars(non sube) and took hours to get them started. I love these storys of engine that sat and fire right up.

Yeah same thing with my first subaru (86 EA81 hatch). It had sat in the guys driveway for 3 years prior to me getting it. I didnt want to go through the hassle of having it towed so i threw a new battery in it, gave it an oil change and it fired up on the third try. Ran like crap until i got around to giving it a tune up, and replacing the intake manifold gaskets and a new not so gunked up carb.

Yeah. I bought a '87 GL that hadn't run in about a year, had a blown head gasket and loud TOD. I jumped the dead battery, and it started on the first crank after about 2 seconds of cranking. I know that's not the 5 years sitting, but I still thought it was pretty impressive.

There's a nice mostly rust free '83 blue GL wagon sitting in a field up in the mountains here that I haven't seen move in 4 years since I first saw it. Probably several before that. I'd like to see who owns it and try to start it...

I had one out of a parts car that sat for 6 years. Had a full set of gaskets and seals for it, but after inspecting it on the bench, the only ones needing attention were the valve cover gaskets. Changed the oil, cranked it over by hand a few revolutions, then installed it in another car. Fired up and ran on the first try. Ticked for about 3 or 4 minutes and then purred like a kitten. 2 months and 2000 miles later it still has yet to develop a TOD or any new oil leaks. :D

Great engines, these are.

WARNING LONG READ! Since we are on the tough engine subject,heres one. Im big into atv'ing and use my brat to transport and ride all over the place.One time last year heading out to hazleton,pa to ride I noticed my temp gauge pinned in the red. I pulled over popped the hood and everything appeared normal,thought it was a sending unit problem. Back on the road for another 50 miles to my riding destination (gauge still pinned)

Rode my Quad all day,packed up around 5:00 pm and headed home,gauge went right up to red again.Pulled over for gas,went in and paid,and when I went back out to the brat there was a sea of coolant under my brat,UH OH,guess it wasnt a sender problem.It boiled over. So I filled the coolant and headed home which was 100 miles away. Now Im going exit to exit with my brat boiling over.Another 25 miles of this I made it to a walmart in wilkes-barre pa.At this point the boiling coolant thru the heater core was making the whole dash shake.Bought a flashlite and a tube of silicone in walmart. Removed my t-stat in the parking lot and used the silicone to make a gasket,filled it and drove home with no further problems.Put a new stat in the next day and its been fine since,gets me to work every day.

I have been a wrench for 13 years and never seen an engine withstand that much overheating without blowing a head gasket or just out right cooking the whole engine. Long live the EA-81!