Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Megasquirt???

I noticed that the thermostat is part of the intake, does this mean i cant make a custom intake?

how well will megasquirt work if I drill the injectors into my carb intake just above the heads? (i will have to fab up a map sensor)

can this be turbo'd? (down the track)

Thanks for any thoughts, ideas, suggestions

I will be fitting a megasquirt system to an EA82, I am at Tamworth not too far from you. I will be fabbing up a whole new inlet manifold from alloy castings and carbon fibre and running a separate coolant pipe EJ style with a EJ turbo style radiator swirl tank.

Depends a lot on what injectors you have as to how they are mounted. Standard EA82 injectors (early bosch style) have two mounting screws, you will need either 4 holes, or 2 holes with bigger injectors though. I don't understand why you are fabbing a Map sensor as the megasquirt system has an onboard map sensor??

You can add a turbo further down the track if you like.

Where on the Mid North Coast are you located?

I dont know much about this yet, i only started researching the other day

I assume you have a MPFI Turbo engine?, I have a carb'd one

My origional plan was to have 2 seperate spfi injector bodies, (off any car) (one over each head) but then i realised that the coolant track is part of the intake.

I assumed that the MAP was was part of the throttle body, i will need to fab a throttle body adaper

I live in a town called Bowraville, about an hour south of Coffs Harbour

Yeah, I know Bowraville, just inland from Macksville. My sister in law lives at Nambucca.

I have virtually the same car as you, a 1992 built 1993 L series DL wagon. It is a carby EA82. I have a lift kit and big tyres etc. I want a motor with greater low rpm torque, my aim is to have the factory peak torque coming in at around 1500rpm. I have no cares for RPM greater than 4500 so am not interested in peak power. My car is for 4wdriving, if it takes me longer to get to the destination then so be it.

If you are interested I can make up a similar system for you as I will be using? Will be about 12 months away though.

Have a look at some of the backyard metal casting websites, they will give you an idea of just how easy it is to make stuff from alloy. If you are good with a file and a drill press, you don't even need a milling machine!!!

Best thing to do with the Megasquirt is to download the manual and read it, printing it first is best, it is about 130 pages.... This will give you a feel of just what is involved, it is no Microtech plug n play system...

What are your plans for the car? Using throttle bodies over the head leaves a very short inlet, which is more suitable for peak power at around 8000rpm a longer, smaller diameter inlet decreases peak torque and so decreases peak power.

What machine tools do you have access to?

I was thinking of putting megasquirt in my turbo wagon....GL-10. That would be down the line.

I've seen people make their own intake/inlet manifolds....they just made plates that bolt to the head, the same shape as the head ports....and welded a tube from one water port to the other...with a vertical pipe on each intake/inlet part...to a carb.

Austrailians are awesome. I want to move there...how hard would that be?..Seriously.

[HTi]Johnson

I'm also looking for lower end power, mabe around the 3000rpm range.I like hti's sugestion (made plates that bolt to the head, the same shape as the head ports....and welded a tube from one water port to the other...with a vertical pipe on each intake/inlet part)

But I have limited money and very few tools

So you are megasquirting your carb'd wagon?

Are you gonna turbo it?

Can the MPFI intake be modded to the single port heads with an adapter?

That way all i have to do is add the ecu and wire up the sensors

BTW,. thanks for the compliment hti

Can the MPFI intake be modded to the single port heads with an adapter?

That way all i have to do is add the ecu and wire up the sensors...

With enough money...

I would think that you would be better off with the SPFI manifold, and maybe complete setup. Makes me a bit of a hypocrit, as I want to play with MS.

The SPFI manifold, engine harness, fuel pump, and ECU are small enough to be shippable... :brow:

Price for MegaSquirt depends on how much effort you wish to put into it. (The following prices are from my swiss-cheese memory, so please check the MS site for their actual pricing.) You can buy a build-it-yourself kit with diagnostic box for around US$250; without diags and some other fancy stuff it drops to around US$150-175. Or you can buy a ready to install kit from value-added resellers for US$500+.

I have only paid about $90 australian for my MS, all I bought was the board with MCU, MAP etc, I had everything else already.

Making an adaptor to fit the MPFI manifold to the SPFI heads is a bloody fantastic idea, makes a lot more sense to me to do that rather than fab a whole new manifold. A whole lot cheaper too!!

I have PM'd you my MSN Messenger log in if you wish to discuss further - I am usually on the net most nights.

Sounds like your easiest solution may be to find a Throttle body injector from another car (80's GM stuff had a lot of that) and adapt it to your carb manifold in the location of the current carb.

I'd think you may be able to purchase just the SPFI throttle body from someone here and have it shipped pretty reasonably. SPFI Subarus are all over the place in the US, and probably in Japan as well. That would only be about the size of a carb for shipping.

Megasquirt can control a SPFI type system with no problem. I paid about $300 for an assembled megasquirt unit with a complete wiring harness to hook it up from http://www.rs-autosport.com

I have a complete SPFI manifold and parts that go with it I could ship out to you.

see this thread- http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34090

(and dont worry, I can get more of them too from the J/Y if someone else buys it and your still interested)

let me know if interested, but shipping may be a little more to Austrailia-