Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Custom 3-door taillights:) Now with PICS of install...

Well I got inspired by subaru_styles and his custom taillights on both his wagon and 3-door. So I decided to get a little creative myself with the taillight that is going to go into my RX. Didn't take too long and came out very nicely. Now the pics!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/302403464/320289667uXoTqX

http://community.webshots.com/photo/302403464/320289571bACgGD

Ok so what do you guys think? I want opinions on it but nothing like "Oh you're a stupid ricer, blah blah blah" Just if you like it, then tell me why you like it or if you don't, give me a good reason why.

I would have lined up my circles to make sure they were even with eachother... wait a second, no i wouldnt... cause i would never have done anything like that.

Way to ruin a pair of hard-to-find coupe rear taillights.

-Brian

The light wasn't straight on when I took the pic. Its sitting kinda slanted to one side. Trust me, they're straight as an arrow. I spent about 2 hours getting them perfect before I painted them.

Oh and the taillight was broken to begin with so if I messed up, it wouldn't be a big loss:rolleyes:

I would have lined up my circles to make sure they were even with eachother... wait a second, no i wouldnt... cause i would never have done anything like that.

-Brian

LOL! :lol:

I'm not much into the custom tail light thing either!

However I would like to see them installed.

Glenn :headbang:

Hair dryer will help take the old ones off...

Bump for pics like someone said, but ya gotta followup with "installed" shots for sure!

(Related story: I went through a cheapo car wash and the channels in my sedan taillights were still filthy when I got out. Anyone else have this problem?)

• 2 weeks later...

ok I finally got one side done and mounted on the car. In the pic, the left is a stock taillight and on the right is the painted one I did...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/302403464/322294896FWMgQp

oh and don't mind the silver hatch... it has yet to be painted since I'm in need of doing some bodywork soon. Along with painting my white bodykit:rolleyes:

ok I finally got one side done and mounted on the car. In the pic, the left is a stock taillight and on the right is the painted one I did...

right one? i can't see it:rolleyes:

looks kinda cool in the dark there, maybe a shot with some more light will prove different?

ooohh, turn on the taillights and take one

-mike

hopefully you put the paint on thick enough, i did something almost exactly like that to a plymouth laser i used to have and when i had the lights on at night you could see the whole thing through it, only prob was you could also see real clearly where the thinner and thicker spots were, looked really goofy.

I would turn the lights on but there's no motor and the electrical system currently isn't hooked up. Maybe I should do that while I put the bodykit on...

Yes the rear bumper has been painted with one full can of bumper black. Works great! I've had my garage door rub against it a couple times and an old Scout 80 seat rub on it as well and no scratches but the big test wll be when I get it out in the weather.

The taillights have 4 coats of black paint on them, all had a nice wet sand done to them before the next coat. After that, I put on two coats of clear with a wet sand between them as well. I used the more expensive black rattle can and a can of clear, both I got from Wally World. For sanding, I used 3M, 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

-Brian

This from the guy that had all his trim painted Blue on his Gold Subaru wagon? You are never going to live that down Junkie, :lol: .

It probably would only look good on a black vehicle like yours, and as long as it doesn't make the police take a second look at you, I think it is pretty cool. Make sure the bulbs and contacts are good. Nothing I hate more is the ricers with blacked out taillights and dim bulbs so you can see when they are braking or turning, etc.

this is exactly something I was going for. Something different then everyone else who has done custom taillights on their Subarus. I did kinda get the idea from a friend of his look really crappy since he did them in an afternoon and used no clear on them:rolleyes: If this car was any other color, I wouldn't have done this to my lights. I probably would have done something different.

I did clean all of the contacts and replaced every bulb with a new one before I installed it on the car.

I got a couple cans of bumper black from Wal-Mart in the automotive section. It'll be in a rattle can but hey, seems to clean up my rear bumper pretty nicely.

I am going to be repainting the gold stripe on the side possible white, or maybe keep it black for a more sleeper look but thats another project right there that I'm not ready for:D

hey ya i like em... you need some pics of them at night though... with the lights on... see how it looks... if there is any light through the paint...

and hey... most "ricers" spend many a hundred dollars to have tail lights like that... mind you they are more pro but hey... a few hours and a couple cans of paint seems like a lot better of a deal to me!