Ultimate Subaru Message Board

seattle residents:emissions question

having just moved here last year i am unfamiliar with the emissions stuff and testing that gets done....now i have an 89 wgn which will need tabs again in march of 2006...will they check to see if i have a catalytic converter or not? i thought i heard or read somewhere that after a certain age cars get a waiver or something for emissions...

You will be required to get an emissions test every odd numbered year that you renew the registration (since yours is an odd numbered year of manufacture). If you car is 24 years or older, then you are exempt from getting an emissions test. When your car comes up for renewal this year you'll have to go through emissions. I don't know what the story is with the proposed CA style emissions standards.

having just moved here last year i am unfamiliar with the emissions stuff and testing that gets done....now i have an 89 wgn which will need tabs again in march of 2006...will they check to see if i have a catalytic converter or not? i thought i heard or read somewhere that after a certain age cars get a waiver or something for emissions...

Some guys up here in Lynnwood have reported that the inspector looked under the vehicle to check for the presence of a cat converter. They also report that their gas caps get pressure tested. Anyone know if this is happening in North or South Seattle test stations?

How about looking under the hood? If the inspector wanted to look, do they have the legal right to lift the hood?

All the stations vacuum check the gas cap; I've run three cars through inspection in the last 6 months and all had the gas caps checked.

Some guys up here in Lynnwood have reported that the inspector looked under the vehicle to check for the presence of a cat converter. They also report that their gas caps get pressure tested. Anyone know if this is happening in North or South Seattle test stations?

How about looking under the hood? If the inspector wanted to look, do they have the legal right to lift the hood?

• 4 months later...