Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 into a 88GL wagon...? mounts?

ok, so I want to put an ea81 into my 88GL wagon... I am getting tired of this headgasket weakness, and SPFI... its not that I dont know how to work on it, but the reliablility and the ease-of-tuning is a little harder... not to mention, the EA82 thats in the car is toast.. it runs, but water is mixin' with the oil!

so anyways, my question is about the motor mounts... I can do everything else about hooking up the ea81 to the ea82 tranny and fuel system, but I dont know exactly the measurments of the motormount mounting locations. when Noah88dl was trying to install his ea81 into his 88 wagon, he ran into that problem, the mounts seemed to not line up completly- but it seemed to work anyways... are they close enough? or should I worry about stressing the poor little tranny mounts (if the engine mounts line up when the tranny is pushed back a little, it would be continuously stressing the mounts on the tranny and the engine!)

and then also, seince this is an SPFI car, the fuel pump needs to be rewired, or should I just bypass the undercar pump, and install an underhood pump with a return line? (for a weber carb)

and I am assuming a ea81 ignition coil needs only batt. power and a signal generated by the disty to generate the needed HV pulse?

thanks for any info!

some of this I can figure out, but I need a second opinion!

Austin

on my sedan i loosened the motor mount bolts from the motor, so the mounts would jiggle. then i lined them up with the holes on the crossmembeer, and then lowered the motor. you can tighen teh bolts back up, you can get to them from unerneath(driver side), and on top(passenger)

the ea82 pitch bar mount will swap over. also the one bellhousing bolt from the ea81 bellhousing is slightly longer than the ea82 bolts, but thats ok

you can use the ea82 water pump to match the 88's radiator and hose, but you will need to make a bracket to mount it to.

but the water pump pulley will be offset. you can but washers or the fan nuts behind it, and go fanless, it will line it up with the crank. you can get the ea82 alternator/ac bracket to fit in there, but the alt will be offset, and you would need the ac-less style pulley for ea82.

the 88 y pipw will bolt up to the 1600