Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vibration/Shudder while Idling in drive

Hello, this is my first post. I have a 1995 Legacy Sedan (Auto/AWD) with 90,000 miles, and the car vibrates and shudders excessively when it's in "drive" but stopped (like at a red light). If I put the car in neutral, it smooths out and idles normally. A friend of mine said that my idle speed is too low.

I notice that my dad's '97 Impreza idles at 750 RPM when in drive and his car doesn't shudder. Mine (from the best I can estimate off the tach.) appears to be about 600-650 RPM. Is that too low? Is that causing the vibration or is it something else? If so, is that something a garage would have to fix or could I do it myself?

Thanks,

Brian M.

It's a little low. The shudder while stopped in drive seems to be a relatively common issue - mine does it too. But mine idles at 750 rpm, so not as badly as your's might. Not sure how to adjust the idle speed, but I believe it's electronically controlled. This may mean you have a vacuum leak somewhere - check all the hoses for leaks and cracks. Also, make sure the hose connected to your PCV valve is on tight.

Hello, this is my first post. I have a 1995 Legacy Sedan (Auto/AWD) with 90,000 miles, and the car vibrates and shudders excessively when it's in "drive" but stopped (like at a red light). If I put the car in neutral, it smooths out and idles normally. A friend of mine said that my idle speed is too low.

I notice that my dad's '97 Impreza idles at 750 RPM when in drive and his car doesn't shudder. Mine (from the best I can estimate off the tach.) appears to be about 600-650 RPM. Is that too low? Is that causing the vibration or is it something else? If so, is that something a garage would have to fix or could I do it myself?

Thanks,

Brian M.

I talked to my mechanic about it today (Orbach's in Denver, PA), and he said he would look at it when I have it inspected at the end of May. He said it could be any number of things, ECU, ECM, a tune-up item, etc. Since it isn't throwing a check engine light or causing any drivability problems, I'll let it go until he looks at it. It's really more of an annoyance than anything. I'm sure the things you guys mentioned will be included in his check-up.

Thanks for your input,

Brian M.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I replaced the PCV valve this morning, and it pretty much solved the problem! I also cleaned the crud out of the little hose that goes into the valve. The shudder is nearly gone, and I have noticed a bit more "pickup." Amazing how a simple fix can yield drastic results!

Brian