Ultimate Subaru Message Board

R.I.P Mighty Warrior 9-1/2 old battery laid to rest

Well the day came for me to say thank you and good by to a true warrior. The OEM battery in our 96 OBW had to be replaced. The car was manufactured 12-95 so the battery was made right in that time frame too.

I took good care of it. I made sure fluid levels were up and the posts were clean. I keep anti-corrosion felt discs on the posts and a penny somewhere on the top to be a magnet for stray corrosion.

The car is an outdoor car year round. We have a block warmer and we use it when it gets below 20 degrees (my wife is not fond of cold and she uses the heated seat until it is about 40 degrees). Winter lows can be around 0 degrees (or lower for short stretches) and summer highs of 85 degrees (or higher for short stretches).

I know a new battery is only $50 to $60 (2 tanks of gas) but making that one last was a mission for me. When I replaced the battery it still turned the car over and started but it was slow.

The battery is survived by its lifetime partner the 1996 Outback with 2.2 engine and 5-speed transmission. Preceding it in death is a knock sensor, catalytic converter (rusted flange) and routine maintenance items such as belts, seals and tires. In leu of flowers donations can be made to the USMB. The Warrior will be interred at AutoZone or wherever recycled batteries are accepted. Just as in life the battery wishes to give by living out it's after years as the components of another battery.

At 9-1/2 years, not exactly shocking. But thanks for keeping us up on current events. Rather like the ying and yang of life--for every negative there is always a positive. Your thoughtful message has energized me: Perhaps my old friend may keep charging on for awhile yet.At any rate, more power to you.

I think it is pretty amazing especially because it gets so cold where you are and I would think that would take a toll on the battery.

snipQUOTE]I have read on this group and read in Consumer Reports that heat is what kills a battery (evaporation) and cold is what saps the power (less chemical reaction). I think our block heater is what makes the car easier to spin in the cold thus requiring less cold cranking amps.

My 96 Legacy still has her original battery. Sometimes it takes a couple attempts to get the car to start, but it still starts when I want it to. (might get a new one before winter.... shhhhh, don't let the old one know) :)