Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So someone bondoed over the sidesteps in this '86. After looking at a zillion pictures, the '85's all seem to have had them. Only a few '86s had them. Were they an option? This Brat was built 5/86.

I hope I posted this in the right forum.

I believe they stopped making the sidesteps after the 85 year models, the same year they stopped putting the seats in the back. The 86 GL models might have them, but I am not sure. All the 86 and 87's I've seen don't have the side steps and seats either.

No seats, no side steps.

Ive got a couple sidesteps if you want to try adding them. I dont think the rocker has the reinforced stuff in it though.

Oh, that's wonderful! This Brat had them at one point. So, I think everything behind the rocker is intact, they just covered the receiver holes. We were planning on cutting the bondo out and adding them back... they add a nice character to the body style. PM with price and shipping.

I'm going to try and make this one look like a kids' R/C car. It'll be a fun project!

Is it possible to do a small, 3-4" lift without changing the suspension parts, like axles, struts, shocks... etc.?

This Brat also has signs of where the seats were welded and cut out.

If it is indeed a true '86. Then someone added the seats and may have cutout the holes themselves. The side steps were there for access to the bed for rear seat use. When they discontinued the seats they eliminated the steps. There are access panels behind/above the holes. The panels are in the bed and are removable with phillips head screws. Removing the panels will allow you to see inside and wether or not the reenforcements are there.