Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sticky wheel in 4wd

i just bought a 79 wagon and it's my first venture into 4wd so i don't know alot about it. my car drives fine in 2wd but when i start moving in 4wd it feels like one of my back wheels is a little reluctant to get moving. is there a joint or berring i need to check out or something? thanks

The feeling of tightness will be present, if not driving perfectly straight, or on slippery surfaces. These cars do not have a center differential. Subaru refers to it as feeling "somewhat braked".

It's also difficult to get into and out of 4WD if is in a turn. Don't force it, drive straight for a few feet.

Todd's right.

A good set of rules is:

Never drive on dry pavement in 4WD for any distance.

Never engage 4WD while cornering.

Never engage 4WD over 50 mph.

ABOVE ALL! Be sure all 4 tires are matched for size!

(My opinion is have matched tread too! Rotate your spare.)

If you lock up, back up until it feels loose take it out of 4WD and you should be good.

Cloppy:

Are you the one that bought the wagon that was listed on Auto trader? I tried to buy that one, but it was sold. I told the seller to give the buyer my phone #.

Let's see pics!

Todd

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I was the lucky winner. This is my first venture into the world of subarus and I'm pretty excited. Especially since it was only $375! And I drove it home even (granted I had to use the handbrake the whole way; bad idea, I know). But after a new wheel cylinder and some shoes it's got the stopping part down. As for the smoking part... that will have to wait a couple weeks til I get back to my non-college home in Mckinney, TX. Now if I can only figure out how to post pictures...

Nope, I can't. I'm no better with computers than I am with subarus

Pics are not showing!

Glad you got the car. I told the seller to give you my phone #, in case you decided to not keep it.

So I guess we can add you to the official North Texas Vintage Subaru club!!

Let me know if I can help ya out with questions or parts.

Todd

Yahoo wont let you put the photos right into here. Find the Photo Gallery link on USMB here in Grey text far right, go there and upload your photos directly. Email if you have problems, if you want to email the actual photos I will upload them in your name too just be sure to tell me what your USMB name is in the email so I dont have to dig around. :)