Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone else familiar with the 1400's?

Please try to keep this thread dedicated to the two US 1400's.Thank you.

My understanding is the the first 1400 was a punched out 1300.It had cylinder sleeves "wet",or inserted,not just bored into the block,and the removal of the extra material caused the 1400 of '72-74 to allow the sleeves to rattle loose and eventually chew up headgaskets and if neglected,wasted heads.This is the four port exhaust EA63.

Correct my dates if wrong please.I believe the revised 1400 was issued in late '74 and definitely was in production vehicles for 1975.I tend to relate the first year of 4WD (1975) with the necessity of the revised EA63,but from my understanding the revised edition was already in some '74's.(the revised edition is two port exhaust,like all the engines that followed through the EA82)

Questions:

Do the early 1400 heads work over the revised block?

Is the crossmember the same as a EA71 (1600)?

Is the intake manifold,or even the intake ports on the heads the same as an EA71,early edition?

I'm really hoping I have a new house soon so I can answer some of my own questions.Right now I have no place to play EA engine doctor.

Thanks for any help.Again,let's please try to keep this to the 1400's.I'm not interested in getting into "what I could put in there,etc.etc....".

Thanks,

Paul

hi there,I'm Paul and I'm a 70's Subaru owner..........

Seriously,I know the 1400 is not very popular here so far,but if you know someone who knows someone....well,pass it along,please.

I'd like to run my dual carb set up on an EA71,but I also have a good revised edition EA63,and if the dual carb fits up then that'll have to be.;) I think it'd be great to keep it 1400 if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I just answered some of your questions on the previous page. I dont think you can put a ea63 head on a ea71 motor if that is what you are asking as the exhaust valves are in a diffrent place.The rattle of the sleeves you talked about is due to the wear of the copper rings at the bottom of the sleeves which I have mentioned on the previous page to your request on any info on the ea63 engine.By the way I have a spare motor out of a GFT. The only diference is it didnt have the hot cam.I think the ea71 is slightly wider then the ea63 by about 20mm (3/4").

Please try to keep this thread dedicated to the two US 1400's.Thank you.

My understanding is the the first 1400 was a punched out 1300.It had cylinder sleeves "wet",or inserted,not just bored into the block,and the removal of the extra material caused the 1400 of '72-74 to allow the sleeves to rattle loose and eventually chew up headgaskets and if neglected,wasted heads.This is the four port exhaust EA63.

Correct my dates if wrong please.I believe the revised 1400 was issued in late '74 and definitely was in production vehicles for 1975.I tend to relate the first year of 4WD (1975) with the necessity of the revised EA63,but from my understanding the revised edition was already in some '74's.(the revised edition is two port exhaust,like all the engines that followed through the EA82)

Questions:

Do the early 1400 heads work over the revised block?

Is the crossmember the same as a EA71 (1600)?

Is the intake manifold,or even the intake ports on the heads the same as an EA71,early edition?

I'm really hoping I have a new house soon so I can answer some of my own questions.Right now I have no place to play EA engine doctor.

Thanks for any help.Again,let's please try to keep this to the 1400's.I'm not interested in getting into "what I could put in there,etc.etc....".

Thanks,

Paul

Did you folks get the 2 port exhaust 1400 in '74,5,and 6 like we did?That's the engine I'd like to put the dual carb on.Are you telling me that the 2port 1400 is still not the same size as the EA71?That's one thing I'd like to know for sure.

Thanks for your help.

BECAUSE THE EXHAUST IS ON THE OUT SIDE OF THE HEAD ON THE DUAL PORT AND THE EXHAUST VALVES ARE IN THE CENTER ON THE HEADS WITH THE OUTLET AT THE BOTTOM YOU WOULD HAVE TO CHANGE THE CAM AS THE LOBS WILL BE IN A DIFFERENT PLACE AS THE FIRING OF THE MOTORS ARE NOT THE SAME.

Did you folks get the 2 port exhaust 1400 in '74,5,and 6 like we did?That's the engine I'd like to put the dual carb on.Are you telling me that the 2port 1400 is still not the same size as the EA71?That's one thing I'd like to know for sure.

Thanks for your help.

OK,But I'm wanting to know if I can put the dual carb intake on the revised,two port 1400 as well.

When you're talking about the 4port engine,well that's the one I'd remove.I have a two port 1400 ready to use,exhaust too.I realize that asking if the two 1400 heads would swap is a dumb question.I forgot about the inverted valve train,sorry.

If the blocks are the same width as the early 1400 I see no reason why the intake manifold won't fit.Sorry Paul I might have got mixed up with what you were asking.

OK,But I'm wanting to know if I can put the dual carb intake on the revised,two port 1400 as well.

When you're talking about the 4port engine,well that's the one I'd remove.I have a two port 1400 ready to use,exhaust too.I realize that asking if the two 1400 heads would swap is a dumb question.I forgot about the inverted valve train,sorry.

paul. i dont know about 1400 and 1600 but i will stop by my engin stash there are both 1400 4 port, 1400 single dual port and 1600, ill measure them and let you know tomorrow.

Thank you.My stash is a little difficult to get to right now.

A funny thing, the body man we have at the shop right now used to work at a Saab/ Subaru dealership in the early 80's so he has even had the joy of rebuilding a few 1400's. He's fun to talk with but not sure he could tell YOU anything you don't know.:lol:

Don't be silly my friend...:) Always room for knowledge.It's three extra five speed trannies I don't have room for.:lol:

I'm starting to think one last trip to Holmgren's might be in order.Just grab everything with the old style parts labels and run.He still had some gaskets,etc. from the early 70's in there that I left behind.

Don't be silly my friend...:) Always room for knowledge.It's three extra five speed trannies I don't have room for.:lol:

I'm starting to think one last trip to Holmgren's might be in order.Just grab everything with the old style parts labels and run.He still had some gaskets,etc. from the early 70's in there that I left behind.

Sounds like a plan, Lets go on a Sat. and I'll destract the sales men by doing AWD NOS donuts in the parking lot wile you rob the parts.

Maybe we snag the 360p.u. too.:brow:

Sounds like a plan, Lets go on a Sat. and I'll destract the sales men by doing AWD NOS donuts in the parking lot wile you rob the parts.

Maybe we snag the 360p.u. too.:brow:

:lol::drunk: yabba dabba doooooo!!!!!!!! I'm with you!

How much you wanna bet it all went in the dumpster?:banghead:

• 7 months later...
:lol::drunk: yabba dabba doooooo!!!!!!!! I'm with you!

How much you wanna bet it all went in the dumpster?:banghead:

AWD NOS donuts in the parking lot, huh? So that's YOUR tranny input shafts in the shop with the gear teeth stripped off it!! :lol: The 360 is mothballed in a classified location right now. I did hear last nite that years ago a couple kids tried to steal it by loading it into the back of a dump truck. There is an electric golf cart, but I'm afraid it's a bit bigger than the 360 :grin:

My experience & knowledge of the 1400 is also limited, unfortunately, but I will share what I know. The 1400 had removable wet liners in 1976, but replacement engines either had the liners pressed into the block so they did not move or had dry liners like the 1600. I know this because my father owned a '76 1400 wagon. The original engine chewed up head gaskets and spit them out constantly. The engine was overhauled in '79 or '80. Shortly after that, the oil filter gasket blew out and the engine seized. The car was laid up for MONTHS while we waited for a replacement. The new engine never had a head gasket failure. Since this car was used as a commuter up here in the snowbelt, it rotted into oblivion. This was my father's second Subaru (the first one being a '71 1300G wagon) and he hasn't owned one since. I came close to buying another '76 with a blown engine as a teenager to put the engine from my dad's '76 in, but the car was sold before I made up my mind and my dad's car was junked. The seller thought his car had a 1600 and that the 1400 wouldn't bolt up to the trans (it was a 4-speed). I'm not sure what he was thinking, but he probably thought it was a 1600 because of the exhaust ports. In retrospect, I'm sure it was a 1400. Unfortunately, I don't know about block dimension differences between the two engines, but I may be able to find out.

The '76 should have been a revised engine without the sleeves.Did he buy that new?

He bought both cars new. I do have access to a '76 service manual that clearly states the 1400 has wet liners and the 1600 has dry liners. Since the 1400 was discontinued, I'm not sure what changes were made to the service engines after that, but the replacement never had a head gasket problem. It seems that when the 1600 was introduced, the 1400 received similar cylinder heads, but the block was the same as before.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump this...

But I was informed by my shop foreman (who even worked for Subaru back in the 80's) that it was common procedure to replace the EA6x shortblocks with EA71 shortblocks so they wouldnt have to deal with the sleeved blocks...

Ill see if I can pull more info out of him, as i'm thinking this might be a good route to go with the EA61 in the FF-1.

Sorry to bump this...

But I was informed by my shop foreman (who even worked for Subaru back in the 80's) that it was common procedure to replace the EA6x shortblocks with EA71 shortblocks so they wouldnt have to deal with the sleeved blocks...

Ill see if I can pull more info out of him, as i'm thinking this might be a good route to go with the EA61 in the FF-1.

yea thats true here in nz. there where quite an few 1400s that were fitted with 1600 engines including my 1973 GL coupe under warrenty. lucky enought my 74 sedan still got the 1400 engine it was rebuilt an few years ago

:burnout:

Bit late in reading this thread, but hopefully i might answer the questions if they havent already

the ea63 manifold will fit all 1400 as well as the ea71

the early heads will fit the later 1400 but the cam needs to be changed with the earlier one

the early head can fit the 1600 but you need to build up around the water jacket and redrill the cooling holes

you can fit a 1600 to a FF1 box just need to put a 1400 bellhousing and space out the 1400 flywheel 5mm

how do i know, all the years of livig subaru i have done al the mods about, as in 1600ea71 with 1400 3 port heads modified and gsr dual carby manifold, had this motor in a gsr pulling about 7900rpm at 118 mph and one carby not running 100%

Those were the days

if you want to know more my personal email is in the FF1 thread page 6

Cheers Thierry

Bit late in reading this thread, but hopefully i might answer the questions if they havent already

the ea63 manifold will fit all 1400 as well as the ea71

the early heads will fit the later 1400 but the cam needs to be changed with the earlier one

the early head can fit the 1600 but you need to build up around the water jacket and redrill the cooling holes

you can fit a 1600 to a FF1 box just need to put a 1400 bellhousing and space out the 1400 flywheel 5mm

how do i know, all the years of livig subaru i have done al the mods about, as in 1600ea71 with 1400 3 port heads modified and gsr dual carby manifold, had this motor in a gsr pulling about 7900rpm at 118 mph and one carby not running 100%

Those were the days

if you want to know more my personal email is in the FF1 thread page 6

Cheers Thierry

Hmm, interesting...

So the easiest way to run the EA71 "dry" shortblock on the FF-1, I'd need to have:

EA71 Shortblock

EA63 cam

EA63 heads

EA63 intake manifold (or is the EA63 intake manifold interchangeable with the EA61's?)

Swaped EA63 bellhousing (or will the EA61 bellhousing work?)

Spacers for the flywheel (or is that not needed keeping the EA61 transmission?)

To run the ea63 manifold to suit the FF1 they are the same except for the radiator hoses, i have modified one easily from memory i had to drill out and tap the temp sender to accomodate another fitting to put your radiator hose on on the ea63 manifold the drilled and taped to refitt the temp sender in another position i think in the same position as the FF1, i did this to fit a 1400gsr motor to a FF1. The spacer behind the flywheel is to clear the fly wheel from the bell housing, 1400 bell housing bolts up to the FF1 box

, the 1600 has a larger flywheel as to why the need to swap over.

Hope this helps

Thierry

To run the ea63 manifold to suit the FF1 they are the same except for the radiator hoses, i have modified one easily from memory i had to drill out and tap the temp sender to accomodate another fitting to put your radiator hose on on the ea63 manifold the drilled and taped to refitt the temp sender in another position i think in the same position as the FF1

Ya, I noticed the radiator hose routing in the service manuals...

Seems like it might be easier just to convert it to a custom radiator with fans rather than modifying the intake manifold...

But at this point in time, I'm just speculating and seeing what options are out there. So ya, this info helps a ton :)