Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX Sedan Ice Drifting Pics

well....we have this contraption made which has two 6 inch diameter drums on it. The drums hold close to 1,000 carpet tacks each. The drums are spread maybe a foot apart from eachother. You lower the car onto the tractionizer and spin it up to about 60 KPH for about a minute a tire. Basically cuts up the tread into little "fingers" basically turning the tire into velcro.

not practical atall for the street. Racing...we'll burn through a set of tires in 6 weekends of racing.

Here in VA ice racing is so different I can't even imagine the scene.

Lakes are made for boats and swimming to me. For a big chunk of geography that has only been used for one purpose to be transformed into a race course for cars because it got cold enough is unheard of. Same goes for sitting in an ice shack fishing.

Totally alien concept. Don't read this wrong, COOL COOL COOL thing to do.

Like the colors on the car. So what's there to hit besides other cars? How do you get onto the lake? Boat ramps?

One day I'll have to see this in person.

Jay

Here in VA ice racing is so different I can't even imagine the scene.

Lakes are made for boats and swimming to me. For a big chunk of geography that has only been used for one purpose to be transformed into a race course for cars because it got cold enough is unheard of. Same goes for sitting in an ice shack fishing.

Totally alien concept. Don't read this wrong, COOL COOL COOL thing to do.

Like the colors on the car. So what's there to hit besides other cars? How do you get onto the lake? Boat ramps?

One day I'll have to see this in person.

Jay

we used to race on lakes prolly 15 years ago. we now race on a fairgrounds which we flood with a water truck. we build up close to 12 inches of ice. this way when we wear through the ice (which we do) we only see dirt and not water, so it's nothing to worry about.

to hit....well other cars, and snowbanks. at the begining of the year the snow banks are nice and fluffy, however near then end of the year, especially if we've had a little bit of a thaw, the banks will be like rocks and do some major damage to the cars. i've seen steering racks blown apart from hammering on the snowbanks

Are these races done in heats? Top three from each heat?

What's the most conmmon car? My guess is Subaru for 4wd guys with a few Audis thrown in and small FWD would be Omni for the low buck and VW for the money crowd. Close?

Looks like a blast and not big budget. Although I bet it can be big money if you let it. Read: competitive car.

Jay