Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tellico and Brown Mountain OHV Areas, NC

carljwnc

Stock '05 Forester XT at Tellico, sump guard installed (but not used) at Brown Mountain. I did all of trail 1 and some of trail 5 in Tellico. I only went about 1/4 mi up trail 1 in Brown Mountain until the threat of a thunder storm and a lack of confidence in the stock Geolanders (weak sidewalls) sent me towards home. Both places have much more to offer with some slight mods and/or bravery (I was by myself on both occasions). Meet to come, Sept. in Tellico.

Tellico;

Tellico14sm.jpg

Tellico21sm.jpg

Tellico44sm.jpg

Tellico49sm.jpg

Brown Mountain;

10sm.jpg

09sm.jpg

07sm.jpg

06sm.jpg

"Terrapondus"-The natural tendency to gravitate towards the dirt.-so that's what's wrong with me ;)

man that looked like it be alot of fun,we need a place like that closer to my neck of the woods.that i know of there's no place like that(well that's legal)

"Terrapondus"-The natural tendency to gravitate towards the dirt.-so that's what's wrong with me ;)

The whole 'terrapondus' idea started years ago (before I had two kids) when I rode bicycles alot. Even on my skinny tired road bike, my rides always involved some dirt riding. I never could find a word that described my tendency to always deviate from the common travel surface, so I took it upon myself to do some extensive research (about 15mins. in my community college library); terra= earth or dirt, pondus= weight or influnce (latin). That being said, Subaru's and me get along very well, both on and off the road.:)

I'm surprised you don't have more off-road available up in the northeast, of course, I have to travel about 2hrs to get to either Tellico or Brown Mountain, there are some closer legal places but they are very small. We do have an endless supply of gravel forest service roads, not very challenging, but do make it more fun to get out in the woods.:cool:

I'm surprised you don't have more off-road available up in the northeast, of course, I have to travel about 2hrs to get to either Tellico or Brown Mountain, there are some closer legal places but they are very small. We do have an endless supply of gravel forest service roads, not very challenging, but do make it more fun to get out in the woods.:cool:

i'm sure there is,but alot of the land that is off-road able for a stock subie is private land.there is one place an hour away that's for atvs an bikes but some of the trails are wide enough for a subie.i thing you gotta watch out for is the army reserves,they do their hovering training over some of the areas.so you don't want to look suscipious.area has been known for having certain crops being grown there ;)

one time back when i had my 86 gl wagon with d/r,i was out there doing my thing an i hear this weird noise.first i think it's the engine so i shut it down.nope still there so i look up an what do i see but a military chopper sitting there above me hovering.scared the sh*& out of me.

Dang I miss living in Burke County, that is such a nice area. Back in the late 80s we used to like driving up Burkemont mountain at night, and the back side of High Peak. I like the ghost/conspiracy theroies about the Brown Mountain Lights. We used to go up and stare at that mountain from the overlook, but never saw anything.

- James B

Those trails look really cool, I will have to check them out some time (I am in SWVA). In addition, a meet there is a great idea, I would certianly be in if I was available (and by Sept I would hopefully have the lift done on my 98 Wagon :D). Luckily we have a good deal of national forest trails around here that are legal and very challenging.

A 'meet' in Brown Mountain will have to be scheduled seperatly from the Sept. meet in Tellico. There is no easy dirt road through the middle with difficult side trails, it's all or nothing.:cool: At a minimum I would say a sump-guard is nessesary, and no stock Geo 900 tires. I have not explored all six miles of trail, only about 1/4 mile, I don't know what lies beyond where I went, things could get over our Subie heads. Provided that things don't get too much rougher, we could prolly do the whole thing in a couple of hours. Body damage is very possible and recovery equipment will be carried (and hopefully not needed). Lastly I wouldn't want to venture in there with more than three cars total, the trail is narrow and two-way, too many cars and it would be difficult to get out of the way of oncoming trail users.

The meet in Tellico will be open to anyone who wants to join in, the main road we will drive is just a little rougher than your average gravel forest service road. Anyone who wants may venture off on the side trails to either impress or entertain the rest.:brow:

My Tellico info source:http://www.tellico4x4.com/catalog/tellico_trails.php :burnout:

you know i was just relooking at some of the pics you posted of your forester on the trails an i thought to myself,man those would be perfect for a subie ad.

with a caption saying " buy a subaru and see were it takes you"

oh yah an they look great as wallpaper

you know i was just relooking at some of the pics you posted of your forester on the trails an i thought to myself,man those would be perfect for a subie ad.

with a caption saying " buy a subaru and see were it takes you"

oh yah an they look great as wallpaper

Thanks subie94!!! At some point in time I'm going to submit some of my pics to Subiesport and Drive magazines, but mainly I just like sharing them with the rest of the Subaru junkies out there.:cool: