Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm thinking about buying some parts

Towing the wagon out of Colorado Springs, the rear driver side wheel rolled away never to be found again. The wheel was last known to exist at or about the intersection of Academy and Marion. I was towing the wagon when I heard a thunk and looked in my mirror and noticed the wagon was tilted. I towed the wagon into an empty dealer parking lot and upon closer inspection what I thought was a flat turned out to be the missing wheel. All that's left is the plate that holds the break shoe. Apparently missing are (1) wheel with lug nuts; (2) drum/hub; (3) bearing; and (4) spindle nut. I had it towed to a PB about a mile away, and there it sits waiting for parts. I'm back in Houston, w/o the wagon.

The service guy is supposed to call me with an estimate. So depending on what he can or can't find, or what he wants a fortune for, I'm "thinking" of buying the parts from members. If anyone thinks I'm missing something other than what I listed above, let me know, since I'll need that part as well. (Cotter pin, for example). It's a 79 4WD.

Did I forget to thank the wonderful people of Colorado Springs? I walked around,then drove around, looking for that wheel. Someone must have picked it up just for the fun of it because it VANISHED, along with the drum, and lug nuts and hub cap. :banghead: Maybe the wheel was abducted by aliens. Thanks.

It's a 79 4WD.

Same thing as what is at my parents house Andrew.

I have a '78 Brat that I might be able to get those parts off of for you if you can't find anything closer. Shipping will be a killer BUT I do live north of Colorado and could possibly drive down there for the cost of gas;)

If you go to the marketplace I am parting 3 gen 1 Brats. Two 78's and a 79. All still have the rear drums on them. One of the 78's only has 11,000 miles on it! That was due to a rollover accident and it has ben sitting for some 20 years. I probably could help you out. Let me know.

Thats amazing! The guy who sold it to you, obviously didn't reassemble properly! You are lucky more damage wasn't done.

I have a 4WD hub, wheel, nut, lugs, but no extra bearings. They are pretty easy to find though.

Todd

Great. I have the wheel, and the PB guy told me he had a bearing while I was still there. I'd like to drive up Friday, and if possible stop by DFW to pick up the hub, nut and lugs, on my way to CO. Let me know if you have that plate that goes behind the brake pads (what's it called?), since I ground it up a bit. Thanks!

Thats amazing! The guy who sold it to you, obviously didn't reassemble properly! You are lucky more damage wasn't done.

I have a 4WD hub, wheel, nut, lugs, but no extra bearings. They are pretty easy to find though.

Todd

Great. Anyhow, I think the plate can be hammered straight. I just want the wagon to roll to Houston. Thanks.

I don't have the plate, but I pulled all the other stuff for you and have it ready.

Let me know your approx arrival time. Call me and we can coordinate.

Todd

I spoke with the PB guy today. A tech took a look and came up with a list of parts (none of which they have been able to find!):

--rear outer wheel seal (?? bearing?)

--rear inner wheel seal (maybe I misunderstood, is there such a thing?)

--half shaft (I don't think I need this if all I want is to get the wheel rolling)

--spindle nut "kit" (my guess is this is the nut plus the cotter pin)

--shoes (again, I don't think I need these just to get rolling, but I did shave them down when I dragged the wagon off the street)

Can someone post a blow up /cut away of the rear wheel assembly? Thanks, Ennio.

I don't have the plate, but I pulled all the other stuff for you and have it ready.

Let me know your approx arrival time. Call me and we can coordinate.

Todd

Todd, do you have the drum and maybe some extra pads as well? Thanks, Ennio

Todd