Ultimate Subaru Message Board

howdy fellow subaru lovers

Hi, I just joined this group and maybe I could get some help right away. I just bought an 85 wagon and its great but I don't know much about fixng cars at all. I've changed little things and have done oil changes on other cars but this is my first subaru- actually my parents had an 85 brand new that year!! Anyway, it had a coolant leak from a bad hose, so we checked all the hoses. Seem to be fine. 2nd it kept over heating and so we found out there was no thermostat. Intentionally not there. Also when I bought it the temprature gauge was unplugged. Sounds fishy to me! Now that we put a thermostat in, it is not registering hot but the coolant is boiling in the overflow and I think coming out the overflow when I drive it. But its definately leaking lot! I've been keeping it full and driving it as little as possible out of necessity. Could I possibly need to install another fan? OR could it be the waterpump?HElp!

It could be a few things....clogged radiator (the EA82s are notorious for it),is water pouring from the weeper of the water pump?sure sign that could be bad...also check for the antifreeze in the oil or vise versa..or is it smoking?? those are possible head gasket signs....But I am thinking clogged radiator. I could be wrong but I know this much...dont let it overheat too much or you will be needing head gaskets.

Good Luck with it!

Just to let you know. A dud thermostat will only run the engine cooler. Because when they go dud now they only go dud in the open position, which will let the water, coolant, through. Back in the 50's they used to be able to go wrong in both, open and closed. So a dud thermostat should only make your engine cooler, less efficient, and not last as long (but that wont really be noticeable

Well, I drove it today with the heat on and no leak and it did not boil in the overflow. Thanks for the response! I haven't let it over heat at all I don't think.

It could be a few things....clogged radiator (the EA82s are notorious for it),is water pouring from the weeper of the water pump?sure sign that could be bad...also check for the antifreeze in the oil or vise versa..or is it smoking?? those are possible head gasket signs....But I am thinking clogged radiator. I could be wrong but I know this much...dont let it overheat too much or you will be needing head gaskets.

Good Luck with it!

I know that you can have a dud right from the store but I don't think this is the case. It was getting hot before the thermostat was put in and now it's not. It's just not saying it's hot but boiling in the overflow tank. I drove it today with the heat on (and it's 82 here) and it did not boil or leak! any suggestions?

Just to let you know. A dud thermostat will only run the engine cooler. Because when they go dud now they only go dud in the open position, which will let the water, coolant, through. Back in the 50's they used to be able to go wrong in both, open and closed. So a dud thermostat should only make your engine cooler, less efficient, and not last as long (but that wont really be noticeable

if you drove the car with the heater on, and it did not overheat, that is the indicator that your radiator is not dispursing enough heat.. (the heater core is taking up the slack that the radiator cant handle..)

replace the radiator with a new one, or preferably a 2 row from a turbo wagon (better cooling)

for hot weather, some people like using 185 deg, or 165 deg thermostats (stock=195) to make it run slightly cooler.. and also make sure you are running coolant, and not plain water- the waters boiling temp is ~212º

water+coolant is around 245 or more? (see the containter for the temp) but either way.. water wont work in most cases, it boils too low, and creates steam wich can blow HGs (it happened to me!)

Maybe down under thats the standard. In the US, you'd have to expressly purchase a "failsafe" brand thermostat. Bad thermos up in this part of the world are known to fail in just about any arrangement: open, closed, both, and neither. :lol:

---

I'd lean toward a clogged radiator.. removing the thermo is a common "bandaid" to solving overheating problems. Now unplugging the temp sender? Thats just wrong. You can get your radiator rodded out (~$40 at any radiator shop), install a good thermostat, and ride out.

what do you mean "get the radiator rodded out"? So, should I first get the radiator "flushed"? IS that the same thing? Second change the thermostat? Why would someone unplug the temp gauge? Hey, I like your cars!!Hot stuff!!

Maybe down under thats the standard. In the US, you'd have to expressly purchase a "failsafe" brand thermostat. Bad thermos up in this part of the world are known to fail in just about any arrangement: open, closed, both, and neither. :lol:

---

I'd lean toward a clogged radiator.. removing the thermo is a common "bandaid" to solving overheating problems. Now unplugging the temp sender? Thats just wrong. You can get your radiator rodded out (~$40 at any radiator shop), install a good thermostat, and ride out.

So should I get the radiator flushed? How would I see Coolant coming from the weeper--not sure where/what that is==?Thanks for the luck!

Good Luck with it!

Nice cars!! Hot stuff!! Now, Do you think I should-right away change the radiator?--Being as broke as I am I'd like to try anything-but if that's what she needs, i'll do it. Should I try other things like changing the thermostat and flushing the radiator first? Or is it undoubtedly bad??? Yes, she's not overheating when I run the heat full blast in 88 degree weather--I do though.

if you drove the car with the heater on, and it did not overheat, that is the indicator that your radiator is not dispursing enough heat.. (the heater core is taking up the slack that the radiator cant handle..)

replace the radiator with a new one, or preferably a 2 row from a turbo wagon (better cooling)

for hot weather, some people like using 185 deg, or 165 deg thermostats (stock=195) to make it run slightly cooler.. and also make sure you are running coolant, and not plain water- the waters boiling temp is ~212º

water+coolant is around 245 or more? (see the containter for the temp) but either way.. water wont work in most cases, it boils too low, and creates steam wich can blow HGs (it happened to me!)

Heather don't feel bad iam going thru the same thing in the friggin HORNET..

but i know my cooling fan isn't working ..Rodding is a cheap way to ck out the flow in the radiator.....iam going to have it done also...

spark.........oops forgot....welcome to USMB Heather....

Hi, I just joined this group and maybe I could get some help right away. I just bought an 85 wagon and its great but I don't know much about fixng cars at all. I've changed little things and have done oil changes on other cars but this is my first subaru- actually my parents had an 85 brand new that year!! Anyway, it had a coolant leak from a bad hose, so we checked all the hoses. Seem to be fine. 2nd it kept over heating and so we found out there was no thermostat. Intentionally not there. Also when I bought it the temprature gauge was unplugged. Sounds fishy to me! Now that we put a thermostat in, it is not registering hot but the coolant is boiling in the overflow and I think coming out the overflow when I drive it. But its definately leaking lot! I've been keeping it full and driving it as little as possible out of necessity. Could I possibly need to install another fan? OR could it be the waterpump?HElp!

welcome to the board. I was going to say a blown head gasket, but it sounds like you are getting better advice from the others. Enjoy your subaru!

I've been having tons of fun down here in Tucson with radiators and keeping the cars cool in this 100+ for a week straight weather we have down here..

1) Make SURE your fan is blowing when your car heats up. Possible problems with fan: Bad wiring/fuse; Bad motor; Bad temp sensor relay.

2) Make SURE you have a good radiator cap (Both rubber gaskets in good condition.) and proper PSI. I believe the 80's Subaru's are 13 pounds? This is my FIRST impression of hearing your problem with the water "Boiling" in the overflow... that is just steam coming out your radiator and bubbling up through the coolant in the resevoir. Make sure you have a good rad cap with good seals... (Ruuber - Cracked? Holes? Pieces missing?) and Make sure you are using a good coolant mixture.. you can buy pure coolant and mix it yourself at 50/50 with (distilled?) water for optimum performance and longevity.. or you can buy it premixed for slightly more expensive.

Good Luck! Hope you get it figured out. Welcome to the board.

Well, we are trying to get as many people down here as we can too have some better off-road trips.. So far it's just us and Ryker in our Roo's.. and we haven't even gone wheelin in a few weeks.. Move to Tucson :P There is great rock crawling out here... and some mud during the monsoonies.. even a little bit of snow to play in the high country if u dont mind a bit of a drive.. (not much playin to do on mount lemon ... but the white mountains are fun.)

i changed my rad cap..about a month ago....now the wiring is showing a fray...

boy what i would give to be done in AZ i love it there..its 62f and cloudy in SEA.. spark

ive taking the HONET down to arizona many of times......hoping to tour to MPLS with austin first wk of july if i get this 93 legacy wagon next sunday ,,then head back thru arizona maybe ...its like 1800miles from MPLS..spark sorry about the off topic guys.....

Radiators on the early EA82 cars are just barely able to disperse the heat when new; older ones just tend to be less efficient. I would spend the money toward a new radiator (around $110 mailorder from www.radiator.com); spending $30 or $40 for a flush is just a waste of money that would go a long way toward the price of a new radiator. The tipoff to the rad being bad is to get out on the highway and watch your temp guage. When the engine is warmed up and you're cruising at around 55, the temp needle should be around the middle of the guage and it'll stay there no matter how fast you go....60, 65, 70 or more. If the car runs hotter at the higher speeds, it's time to replace the radiator. Pretty definitive test and pretty reliable. If you're still going to replace the thermostat, go get one from a dealer; for some reason the OEM thermostats work better than most of the aftermarket brands. Hook up the temp switch on the side of the rad. It's only purpose in life is to turn on the fan when the engine gets hot and you're not moving and running cooling air through the rad, like waiting at the traffic light. Good luck with your new car and welcome to the group.

Well, 1st of all I thought I was replying to each one of your posts individually!!!!Fool of a Tuuk?!

Good Luck with it!