Ultimate Subaru Message Board

distributor interchange? ~/~/~/~ timing advance?

I am working on a carbureted 87 wagon with an SPFI long block.

I'm using the distributor from the carbureted long block.

should i use an SPFI distributor even though i still have a carb?

When I was just getting the rotor/distributor gear in sync with the cam, I found that turning the dist all the way counterclockwise ran best so far, but if I turned the rotor/gear CC and then rotated the distributor all the way clockwise, it wouldn't run.

//////////

I haven't done the timing yet (dad's old timing gun died since last time i used it; found out an hour ago :temper: ) but I'm anticipating that I'll want to advance it and perhaps run higher octane gas? (carb motors usually have 8.5:1 compression, SPFI blocks have 9.5:1 )

Stock equipment is timed at 8deg BTDC according to the underhood sticker. I have the idle at about 850-900 (HTKYSA sez 700 but it dies). I'd appreciate any estimates where the timing will end up so that if it turns out off, i'll know i've got something else to adjust...

thanks!

Interesting.. The carb dizzy has vacuum advance, doesn't it? (That may sound like a dumb question, but I don't know a lot about carb'd roos. all of mine have been SPFI or Turbo)

If that is the case, I would think you would continue to use the carb dizzy, as the 87 SPFI dizzy has no vac advance.. is crank angle sensor type...

As far as Timing goes.. you will just have to experiment. SPFI timing on an 87 is 20btdc. I'm sure that this is in part because of the higher compression. Personally, I would advance it until it pings, then just back it off a touch.. you can put a light on it later to see what the number is

i think the spfi dist will still work, because it works independently from the fuel system. but, when the dist rotates on the spfi, that is what kicks the fuel pump on. when going that approach, you still need to put a carb's fuel pump in, but it can be connected to the spfi's pump wire clip.

the carb dist wil work too, but i think you will need one from an 85-86

i tried yo use one from an 87,(ea82 in 82 glf) had no spark, and oh noah(cis subaru) suggested an 85 or 86 dizzy

all the conversions i have done used an 86 dizzy

right now i have an spfi motor with a carb down in a turbo wagon, and the 86 dizzy works fine connected with its 2 wires to the turbo's coil.

if i get bored i can try to use the turbo dizzy and se if it will work without the mpfi intake harness and see if that works!

but what i am talking about is a carb doen in a spfi or turbo car

if using the spfi block with a carb in a carb car, then you will need the carb disty. if the disty is the one from the car, then it should work. fuel pump swaps need not apply

you would probably want to use the carb spec 8deg. btdc.

but go ahead and try spfi's 20deg btdc (if it has to do with the compression ratio)

My SPFI has the optical dizzy in it, which needs the computer to operate (same dizzy on the ER27). If you are still useing the computer to operate ignition, then it should work fine, or if you have have a standard magnetic pickup dizzy it'll be fine. If you do have the optical, and aren't useing the computer, it'll prolly not work. Things to keep an eye out for.

I don't think I was properly clear at first. my fault..

let's try this:

I am working on a carbureted 87 wagon with a swapped in SPFI long block.

I'm using the original carbureted distributor the car came with.

Should i use an SPFI distributor even though i still have the original intake, wiring, carb, etc?

When I was just getting the rotor/distributor gear in sync with the cam, I found that turning the dist all the way counterclockwise ran best so far, but it seemed a little better maybe if i toook out the distributor bolts and turned it a little past the ears it bolts to on the head.. but if I turned the rotor/gear CC one tooth and then rotated the distributor all the way clockwise, it wouldn't run. I was under the impression that rotating the distributor a tooth and turning the adjustment back the other way on the ears accomplished the same thing?

thanks

That's a hard one to answer correctly. The distributors are curved for the cams. But I know people who have put the SPFI cams into carbed motors and used the carbed disty. I would probably use the carbed disty and play with the timing until you find the right combination. Make sure that the vac advance wil hold vacuum. It may advance the timing but not hold vacuum.

hi Ken.. thanks..

OK. i can always "booty fab" a bracket or something from the hardware store if i have to turn it past the ears.

make sure the vacuum advance holds vacuum.. by putting a clean hose on the VA and pretending it's a glass of soda? if i can draw air through the VA it must be bad i'll guess?

thanks