Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 2wd to d/r 5spd 4x4 conv, can i keep existing flywheel, and gastank?

Guest subu luvr

Guest subu luvr

spfi ea82 in 87 wagon, fwd 5spd

found d/r 5spd 4x4 in sedan

wanna know if i need to pull the flywheel from the donor car,

or if i can be slack...

does the starter vary between different trannies?

wagon gas tanks are same 2wd/4wd?

You should be OK. The flywheel is the same. The gas tank is the same. The starter should be fine as well. Make sure to keep the driveline, diff & hanger, front struts and the rear shocks(for height). Yours doesn't have them. I don't know for sure but I think the center bearing mount will be missing from the 2WD also. Just check to be sure.

The clutch and flywheel where not the same between my 2WD 5speed and the 4WD dual range 5speed I pulled. The clutch is significantly larger for the 4WD and therefore the bored out area in the flywheel for the clutch/pressure plate were larger.

Might need to drill some holes thare are not there for the 4WD rear main crossmember assembly. I had to drill holes out for the rear diff hanger. YOu will see exactly where you need to drill; if they are not already drilled out for you. Center carier bearing for the drive shaft will be interesting too. I have not got that far. I'm leaning twoard getting mine modified into a solid drive shaft and skipping the center carier bearing. As usual however I'm sure funding will over ride my desires.. and I'll end up just trying to bolt in the OEM drive shaft :(

I'm about half done with this very same swap. All I can say is may the force be with you :D

all of the different styles of starters i have seen will mount the same

at least being a 5spd to begin with you can use the same mounts and crossmember. the only trouble spot will be the driveshaft mount.

what you got is a little less involved than the 2wd auto to 5spd 4wd that we did, so i know for a fact you can do it with no problem

on the ea82 you will see the holes stamped out on the outer metal, but they are solid on the next layer. you have to drill all the way through(ours was a sedan, thru the trunk) they will come out just at the edge of the inner fender plastic where it meets the carpet.

its opssible to just drill the first layer, and put a captive nut behind it through the hole where the bumper mounts fit into(on a wagon)

if you go thru the floor, use a fat washer, as it will want to pull thru as you torque it down. i would suggest using the nuts with the nylon insert so it will stay tight without a lot of torque

all of the different styles of starters i have seen will mount the same

True, they do mount the same.. But when I did my 5 spd conversion, and tried to use the longer 2wd starter, the vacuum module on the tranny got in the way and the starter wouldn't mount.. had to dig out my spare, which thankfully was a 4wd starter with the shorter body

I know you are doing D/R, wehreas I was only doing the S/R swap, so the longer body starter may fit, as you prbably don't have that vacuum module to deal with(unless you have a diff lock, then you still have to deal owith it)