Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check Engine Light - How to read the code?

Hello,

I am a new subaru owner. Just bought a 96 subaru OB / 5spd manual / 2.2L. I was looking underneath the dash and found a connector just to the passenger side of the steering column that was disconnected. When I connected it I turned the car back on and the Check Engine Light began to Flash a steady Flash. Prior to this the check engine light was not on. I've read in other forums for a OBD1:

"The black connector is the ECU check connector. When it's connected The check engine light will blink with the codes stored in the ECU, or if no codes are present, it will flash in a steady interval."

Well this is a Blue Connnector (I think) and and OBD2. My questions is:

1. Should this connector be connected only during a diagnostic check? If so, Does a steady check engine light indicate no codes have been triggered or stored?

2. Any recommendations on a good Home Mechanics OBD2 reader? I saw some on ebay for about $50 or so.

Please let me know,

Silly Billy

Hi,

Thanks for the link for the Palm Application. I'm still trying to get an answer on if the single connector (blue color I think now) under the dash on the right hand side should be connector or not. When I connect mine the Check Engine Light flashes repeatedly. I've read in another forum that this connector for OBD 1 equiped cars should only be connected when doing a diagnostic check. I am wondering if this is the same for OBD 2 cars. Also, I checked another 96 outback and checked if the connector was connected and it was NOT and on this car the check engine light was on.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Billy

if the light is blinking it sounds like that connector should not be plugged in. if it's not plugged in and the CE light is not on, sounds like you don't have any problems. why are you bothering connecting and playing with things? are you troubleshooting some problem?

autozone will tell you your codes for free.

OK - Thanks for the input. I was playing with things because I just got the car and curiousity leads to tinkering.

I just bought a '97 OBS and I've noticed the CEL on as well (it did not show when I test drove it last Saturday).

Of course, this makes me nervous, as I just bought it yesterday... tomorrow after work I'm stopping at the local AutoZone, who I understand will read the codes for free. I hope that nothing goes wrong between now and then, as I will have to drive it.