Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2wd to 4wd ???

1he1m8

Hi,

I'm living outside the state and in my country i have 93' brat.... they continue produse it till 94'-95'....

So, My question is : can i change 2wd to 4wd ??? what is the necessary parts ? does someone know a kit for it ?

thanks a lot...

4wd will bolt right in. as long as you have all the parts.

i wonderif the rear suspension tube will have4 the mount for a diff?

in the states brats came as 4wd only and only one year for an automatic, up until 87

is yours fwd 5spd or automatic?

Thanks for ans.....

i have 5spd.

and do you know what are all the parts ? and where can i get them ?

do you know someone who did it ? what about kit ?

4wd will bolt right in. as long as you have all the parts.

i wonderif the rear suspension tube will have4 the mount for a diff?

in the states brats came as 4wd only and only one year for an automatic, up until 87

is yours fwd 5spd or automatic?

i have done the conversion myself to a wagon

along with the tranny you will need the flywheel and clutch that goes to it, along with the 2 piece driveshaft. you willeither have to fabricate a mount for the 2 piece driveshaft or shorten a driveshaft from a 4spd model

if your car is a 2wd 5spd your existing tranny crossmember will work. if its an automatic, you need to find a crossmember from another brat or wagon or hatchback of that body style(4 headlights)

you will need the entire rear suspension assembly from a 4wd brat, wagon, or hatch of the same body. or you can fabricate a mount for the diff on your existing suspension, and swap in 4wd trailing arms. you will also need a differential and crossmember with a 3.9 final gear ratio, the ratio will be on a tag on the back of the diff

its more economical to grab the entire rear suspension, diff and all of a donor vehicle

your existing clutch cable will work

you may have to beat the tranny tunnel in a little but, or put spacers on the crossmember mounts to drop the tranny down a half inch or so to clear, as its a tight fit

you may also have to trim the shifter hole up a little to make toom for 5th and reverse.

Thanks alot !!!

I looked at your wagon and it looks very cool !!!

i'll update the furom if after i'll try this convertaion....

i have done the conversion myself to a wagon

along with the tranny you will need the flywheel and clutch that goes to it, along with the 2 piece driveshaft. you willeither have to fabricate a mount for the 2 piece driveshaft or shorten a driveshaft from a 4spd model

if your car is a 2wd 5spd your existing tranny crossmember will work. if its an automatic, you need to find a crossmember from another brat or wagon or hatchback of that body style(4 headlights)

you will need the entire rear suspension assembly from a 4wd brat, wagon, or hatch of the same body. or you can fabricate a mount for the diff on your existing suspension, and swap in 4wd trailing arms. you will also need a differential and crossmember with a 3.9 final gear ratio, the ratio will be on a tag on the back of the diff

its more economical to grab the entire rear suspension, diff and all of a donor vehicle

your existing clutch cable will work

you may have to beat the tranny tunnel in a little but, or put spacers on the crossmember mounts to drop the tranny down a half inch or so to clear, as its a tight fit

you may also have to trim the shifter hole up a little to make toom for 5th and reverse.