Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Move the Tranmission?

Gravityman

Subaru freaks

Quick Question.

Has anyone ever moved the mounting point for the engine and transmission back any? Like 2 inches or so?

This is just a crazy question. I know that it would mess with the axle angles and all kinds of other crap, but just wondering?

if your thinkin about doin it for the xt6 to fit with a radiator up front... it wont work.

i had my tranny elevated about 1 inch, and it ate through front axles like crazy. i now run my tranny lowered about one inch, to keep the axle angles down.

rwd, it would work fine, cept the shifter would be where your e brake is...

Thanks for the insight archemitis. The only other way is to throw in a T-case and them I could, but I really dont want to lift it that high. By the way what would you imagine the minimum height that you would have to lift to drop in a nissan T-case?

Also about the radiator... Call me crazy but what my "PLANS as of right now," I want to mount the radiator in the bed of the brat along with a fuel cell and my battery. The only thing I am concerned about is if the XT6 water pump will have enough power to pump coolant back and into the engine without an additional pump.

i do know that pro drive makes a kit to do that with the gen 1 impreza, for rally purposes..... i dont know how much it would cost, my friend has a catalog from them.... they sell everything..... you can build a complete impreza from that catalog......of course us suby offroaders being cheap, i dont think that would quite be what ur looking for, just thought i'd throw it out there....

About the radiator relocation. I've relocated mine to where the spare tire goes. It hought it was silly and didnt like it; others have done it and liked it. Made a more complicated system and it was totally in the way. I've since moved it to the front where it belongs.

I was talking to a guy out on the trails over the 4th weekend. He had a mazda pickup body on a toyota frame and a chevy engine. He said with the engine he ran out of room upfront and moved the radiator to the back. I asked how he ran the coolant back there safely. He said hydrolic hose and copper pipe couplers; looked back there and it was a nice setup.

I've personaly used the copper couplers for household plumbing to make a custom fit radiator hose due to the 3" BYB liftkit. It works great; just feed the hose over the coupler and clamp it down tight. The hydrolic hose is a good idea becuase its high pressure and high temp rated. You can also get bulk amounts of radiator hose from truck repair shops (by truck I mean semis and dumptrucks) They will have silicone and normal stuff on a spool sold by the foot.