Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch question

I just did a clutch job on an 88 rx and was wondering the same thing about that clutch fork.. i can even see a spot.. maybe 4-6 inches away that a spring could go to.. i think the spot is right above the flywheel? ... Anyway.. is there supposed to be a spring there? Feedback? btw the rx shifts perfectly without it.

When you say "top of the fork" I assume you are talking about outside the bell housing where the clutch cable hooks up, correct? If so, might you be talking about the something to do with the hill-holder?

I don't know nothin' about '88 RX's, but most if not all of the EA81's I've looked at had the clutch fork for the hill-holder apparatus, but few of them actually had the hill-holder enabled.

Yeah.. very tip top of the fork there is a little hole for what looks like where a spring would go.. hill holder and clutch cable are hooked up. I think a spring goes there. Maybe without the spring you burn clutches up faster??? That's what I'm thinking.

Ifin I recall things correctly, the 4WD has the HH and the 2WD don't.

The spring on the HH valve is there to put tension on all of the clutch actuating components, IE: pedal, cable, throw-out fork/bearing, just to keep everything together so to speak.

Now on a 2WD with no HH, you would have to have that spring on something else, and the throw-out fork is a good place to put one.

Same fork for both 2WD and 4WD, so hole is there for the spring on a 2WD.

I ran my '82 BRAT with no HH, and no spring on the fork. No problems really, other than an already well-abused clutch from a previous owner allowing his kids to beat it up out in the corn fields.

Again, I don't know about an RX, but I'm guessing that if you don't have the hill holder, you don't need the spring.

I also think that if you have the clutch cable adjusted with a tiny bit of free play, that there is no way that not having the spring can wear out your clutch any quicker.

I might be able to visualize a situation to where if you had your cable adjusted too tight, that little spring could keep the throwout bearing off the pressure plate, meaning you could wear out the throwout bearing. I don't think you would be burning up clutches, though, because that little spring doesn't seem like it's strong enough to overcome the tension in a clutch cable that would be required to overcome the springs in the pressure plate.

But again, if you adjust your clutch cable to where you can still wiggle the fork a little, I don't see how not having that spring could matter.