Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to find an EA82T rebuild kit

Is there a 'one stop shopping' sort of rebuild kit for my EA82T? I'm looking for something with pistons and maybe bearings, but haven't seen any single kit that has everything I want. Here are the sites I have check out so far:

http://ramengines.com/_wsn/page3.html

(exactally what I want, but it looks like EA81 only)

https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/mak,SUBARU

(can't tell what comes with what kits)

https://www.1stsubaruparts.com/partscat.html

(can sorta tell what comes with kits)

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

- James B

ramegines does ea82t stuff. i emailed him and asked. i was looking at the masterkit rebuild kit, well i think it was call the master, with forged pistons, bearings and all the other stuff you need. but it was like $1200, and ther was something about haveing to send you cams in to be reground and other stuff needed to be done to the heads. but if he can get 140hp out of an n/a ea81, i think a 150 out of an ea82t if possible with little effort, but i could be wrong.

How bad is your engine? You may not even need pistons, which are the most expensive bit.

I haven't torn down the motor yet, I needed to fix the A/C on my daily driver truck. The donor car was wrecked with about 200,000 miles on the odometer, but the fluids looked good so it was likely maintained. Hopefully the teardown can start tonite. I am leaning towards a re-ring kit from the autoparts store, and borrowing a ridge reamer and cylinder hone. I dunno about the heads yet, I'll look and see when I get in there. Maybe re-mans, maybe try to rebuild it at home and pay for the machine work I can't do myself.

ramegines does ea82t stuff. i emailed him and asked. i was looking at the masterkit rebuild kit, well i think it was call the master, with forged pistons, bearings and all the other stuff you need. but it was like $1200, and ther was something about haveing to send you cams in to be reground and other stuff needed to be done to the heads. but if he can get 140hp out of an n/a ea81, i think a 150 out of an ea82t if possible with little effort, but i could be wrong.

That $1200 kit from Ram engines sounds very nice. But this would go over what I want to spend, and not leave anything left over to get new hoses, wires, and exhaust parts. This is my first try at this, so for me it is more a learning experience than a necessity. My main problem is I want a nice engine, but don't want to pay for it.

- James B

... My main problem is I want a nice engine, but don't want to pay for it. ...

Gee, that makes you unique around here! :rolleyes:

Yeah, going all out on your first try is probably not the way to go. A re-ring kit would probably work for you, unless you know that the crankshaft bearings are really bad. Doing the top half will give you the experience without you risking getting in way over your head and ending up with a couple boxes of dirty, oily parts.

There is not much to do on the head that wouldn't be covered by the machine shop doing the valves.

yeah this is going to be my first time and its way to much for me to spend at the moment. but i would like to do it to the second one around when ever it happens. i don't know how bad the pistons are the odometer says like 146k but the person that i bought it from said it was broken before they got it. so i'm gusseing that there is 200k give or take maybe 10k miles.