Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Painting the Baja

I'm painting my 89 GL. The primer and paint cost about $200 and a friend of mine is loaning me the gravity gun. Here is a concept drawing:

subarured.jpg

Cool, huh. The hood scoop is functional. A sheet metal duct directs air straight into the weber carb. I have the entire interior stripped out of the car (minus the two front seats and the dash). I even spent the time to remove the layer sound-deadening material inside the car. Everything I removed weighed about 100lbs. Good stuff.

I'll update with pictures when I'm finished (which should be within a couple weeks). I call it "The Baja"

but, calling your hatch "the baja" is kind of weird considering that subaru carries a model of truck called Baja.

I'm doing something similar... a new paintjob, new interior, seats reupholstered, ect.

I'm sure that the real car will look great, as the picture is a little promising (but itself looks okay)

you could probably do without the "rekognize" on the side of the body.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! I hope my paint job comes out looking that good. What kind of gun and paint did you use? What kind of prep work did you do?

You're in Denver? Why don't you come out and show that thing off at the Subaru Bar B Que next weekend? Details about the get together are in the Meet/Greet forum.

Looks good to me... is that a Gen 1 RS / Gen 2 WRX scoop on there? [/b]

Yes, that is a "WRX Style" hood scoop on there. I figured I'd keep it in the family. Also the two colors of paint are both original Subaru colors. High Tech Red and Glacier White. I like to keep it in the family. Err.. I mean with cars......

A lot of prep work went into this. I completely sanded the car down to the original primer with a non-orbital sander. I fixed all dents and rust and primered/painted/clearcoated using a gravity gun. I estimate a total of 30 hours of work and $500 in paint/supplies. I will never do it again.

that's awesome!

I agree, painting a car is a lot of work... I spray painted my Explorer in the driveway in Wyoming over a few months (stupid wind never stops here)... It doesn't look bad, but a lot of work... and despite my efforts to cover the glass, I got overspray all over the place from the wind, so I had to get all that off the windows :madder:...

But yeah... I still like your paint job :burnout::brow: