Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adding CD player to 1991 Legacy Wagon

Hi folks,

My mom has got a 91 Legacy wagon with stock am/fm cassette player. She'd like a CD player, and I'd love to add a stock stand-alone CD player for her, so she can still use the tape player. (she still has plenty of those). Anyone done this? Is the wiring already there for adding the separate CD player? Mounting issues?

Thanks...

CD player plugs right into the existing stock radio. Also needs a separate cable to power the backlighting for the CD. If you don't get the cable with the CD, it's easy to make one from existing automotive connectors acquired from a donor car. Lots of CD players are available on ebay in the $50 to $100 range. Just make sure it's compatible with your year; I can't vouch for whether the newer ones will fit or hook up correctly. Mechanical installation is a breeze providing you find all the screws for removing/installing.

Why not get a CD player with an auxillary input (I used a Panasonic) and mount it below the standard radio cassette? Get an antenna splitter from Radio Shack and connect to both radios. Then you have 2 radios (lots of presets), a CD and a cassette player. It works very well for me: I've done it in a 93 Legacy and 97 Outback. The Subaru radio usually gets slighter better reception so I use that more often. An additional benefit of this setup is that one can used the bottom radio or CD while rewinding.

This is much better than plugging in external cassette / CD machines as these do not stop and restart seamlessly with using the car.

Rod

Thanks for all the responses so far.

edrach: I know that aux CD player mounts below the stock tape/radio (I've seen it on other vehicles). What would be on my mom's legacy now in the space where the CD would go? Is there just a flat panel there? I'm trying to remember but can't... And yes, I'll be sure to check interchangability before buying anything online...

cookie: I don't believe it's a clarion, but I may still want to take you up on your offer and buy a harness to hook it up - let me get back to you...

roda2003: that's exactly the type of thing I'd do on my own vehicle, thanks for the idea. But for my mom, it would make her nervous, having so many presets :) That's one reason I'd like the stock CD player that came with those legacies - she'll feel like it's still her car, and that I haven't "changed" it. :)

Again, thanks.

I did the same swap into my 91 wagon. The cable just attaches into the back of the stock head unit. Theres another wire coming out of the back of the cd player, but I just wired it into the accesory power supply on the 7-pin harness using this diagram http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/bcstereo/ Where the player will go has a small pocket with a lid BTW.