Ultimate Subaru Message Board

important please.. carb,spfi port matching?

Guest baccaruda

Guest baccaruda

Hi, this is kind of important as I am on a very tight schedule..

I'm replacing a carbureted EA82's long block with a long block from an EA82 SPFI. Will the carb intake match the SPFI heads where they bolt together?

thanks..

Guest rXSNRG

Andy,

The intake will bolt on fine and they use the same castings. However, the SPFI heads DO NOT have the bosses drilled for the emissions stuff that's on the carby model, the two pipes that go down the side of the engine. The hole where the pipe bolt on is not machined through and the bolt holes are not drilled or tapped. I ran into this first hand, I just went and got a carb engine. I didn't try to drill the holes (probably would require removing the heads at the very least) out or bypass the emissions, both are probably possible but I didn't want to mess with it.

Good luck.

Guest baccaruda

Hi Mark.. I called Aaron's Auto Wrecking in Seattle and the guy there confirmed that the intake would match up.. he also told me about the emissions stuff needing to be attached somehow..

I don't mind doing a little tapping but are you saying that i'd be tapping into the guts of the head? i was under the impression that all i had to do was thread a few bolt holes that weren't actually drilled into the head, just into the surface of the head.. ??

Guest baccaruda

I called Aaron's back and once again they were very helpful. He said that there are 2 - 10mm bolt holes that need to be drilled and tapped in, but they are just into the surface of the head.. and there is one that goes thru into the exhaust but it's apparently right near the exit so you won't get drill junk inside the head itself. thanks to all who've replied. i guess i better go grab that tap / thread cleaner set i saw at the tool store.. :D any excuse for more tools is a good one