Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Off road/ Rally lights

Blubaru703

I was wondering if anyone here knew of any good rally/off road lights that would fit and look decent on a 1982 GLF? I have done some research on the topic myself but can’t seem to find any light that will look good on the car. I know I can always go for the cheap autozone/walmart brand but I was looking for some a little better. I was also looking for a bar that could mount to the front of the car and hold the light opposed to just drilling the lights into the plastic bumper. Can you guys help me out?

I'm not planning on taking this car offroad, so the placement of the fog lights was dictated by the best position for cutting through fog, which is down low. Also, it is a turbo car so it runs hotter than a carb'd car plus it has an A/C condenser blocking the radiator. If I had mounted the fog lights above the bumper, this would block more airflow to the radiator.

If I want to offroad I have this: It has KCs which I beleive someone else suggested. These however are placed to light up the ground in front of the car.

18New_Hatch_-med.jpg

Woo hoo a pic from when i still owned it. Get some hella fa50 fogs they are SUPER bright for fog lights its insane. I have them on the rally car and they are like 20x brighter then the legacy headlights. And they are not very noticable.

trust him, they look awsum on his car.

i just installed a set of $20 dollor walmart lights.even though they're mounted on top of the bumper,i didn't have to drill.i used two of the holes that were there for attaching the bumper cover.

you did it better than i... i took a drill right through the bumper cover & bumper.. some very large fender washers, and a few longer bolts later and i had myself some mounted lights :drunk:

My next lighting addition, i believe will be some LightForce 170's on the roof, but i haven't figured out how to mount the yet... i either need a fold/roll down light bar, or an easy way to just pop the lights off, due to large amounts of stuff being carried on the racks, at times. :rolleyes:

but at least you used bolts.i just used the plastic bolts that were there to hold the bumper cover on.it seems to be holding.i did drill a small hole through the mounting bracket into the bumper and put in a small screw to prevent it from turning to much(seeing that you really can't tighten down that plastic screw to much.)

we'll see down the road and see how they hold up.so in some aspect i didn't do it better cause your's more securely mounted.

I have Hella FF1000s on my bumper ($97 shipped from rallylights.com). My sister rear ended someone in my car a few years ago, so I wasn't worried about cutting through the bumper cover to bolt the 3/16" steel plates I made directly to the bumper. The plates themselves tend to vibrate a bit, however, so I'll eventually make some new ones. They really only move on bigger bumps, so it's not distracting, just noticable.

DSC01554.jpg

DSC01553.jpg

DSC01565.jpg

DSC01563.jpg

DSC01809.jpg

DSC01802.JPG