Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'00 OBW: Remote Entry Keyfob Thingie Replacement

So http://www.cars101.com states that my wife's 2000 OBW should have remote entry, since they state that it came standard... but when we bought it from the previous private owner, they didn't give us one of the remotes. The security light appears to be installed on the dash. There aren't any "Factory Installed Subaru Security System" decals on the windows, though, like my '97 OBW (which has the remote entry). From the research I've done, I can order one from the dealer and reprogram the system for the remote.

However, the dealer states there are two designs available. Will the two designs interchange, so I can pick one and go with it, or do I have to figure out which one came with it? Or is cars101 incorrect, and she doesn't have remote entry?

Before you spend a lot at the dealer I would try looking at Ebay for a replacement remote. I picked one up for my '01 model for $10 dollars.

I don't think that the remotes will interchange with each other. You may have the Alpine system in your car.

So www.cars101.com states that my wife's 2000 OBW should have remote entry, since they state that it came standard... but when we bought it from the previous private owner, they didn't give us one of the remotes. The security light appears to be installed on the dash. There aren't any "Factory Installed Subaru Security System" decals on the windows, though, like my '97 OBW (which has the remote entry). From the research I've done, I can order one from the dealer and reprogram the system for the remote.

However, the dealer states there are two designs available. Will the two designs interchange, so I can pick one and go with it, or do I have to figure out which one came with it? Or is cars101 incorrect, and she doesn't have remote entry?

This post is a little incoherent: You state that the previous private owner didn't give you one of the remotes - Did they give you the other one? If you don't have any remotes, get one and try it out; you probably have remote entry but not an alarm system.

What do mean about there being two designs available? Are you referring to the keyfobs? On each 5-year model change Subaru seems change to the keyfob. The 2000 to 2004 keyfobs are an odd shape, the earlier ones having grey buttons and the later ones having an orange and a blue button. They're interchangable. I have gotten two or three of them from eBay for about $10 each.

Remind me not to post right before I head to bed... I may understand myself, but few other people do :drunk:.

The previous owner didn't give us any remote... just a set of keys. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a security/alarm system installed, as I don't see any emblems or mysterious black boxes :).

I do believe I misquoted cars101.com as saying that there were two designs available... I looked at their page again, and couldn't find it. Must've been some online parts ordering company instead.

As long as the keyfobs (the grey ones and the colored) are interchangeable, I shouldn't have a problem tracking one down (got a hit on the Marketplace already).

I appreciate the help!