Ultimate Subaru Message Board

head bolt problem

Anyone ever have head bolts strip out on their EA71 motor? I have 4 out of 9 on one head in the block that won't hold or allow me to torque down. Have tried to re-tighten head bolt studs before bolting head down but still no luck. Now I'm switching over my motor to another block. The studs start to pull out when torquing down. Tapped one out on the other side from 11mm to 12mm and used a allen head bolt. But that cost $10 just for the bolt. Anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this problem? Never had a problem like this before. Thanks...Dennis...

Might be cheaper to use Helicoil or Timeserts and repair the holes.

I have heard of people whose EA82 head bolts pulled their threads, but this is the first that I can recall having heard (during my 1 year here) of studs pulling out. Are you sure that you are using the right torque spec and/or your torque wrench is functioning properly?

I use a Proto torque wrench that is in good working order. I also used the specs that are listed in my 1978 Fuji Industries Dealer Subaru repair manual. Heli-coil dosen't make a repair kit for these 11mm studs! 11mm is sort of and odd ball size. The best I could find is the more common 12mm stud. Maybe I'll see if the Subaru dealer has any ideas...Thanks...

Timeserts are supposed to be solid (I personally haven't seen one...yet ;) ), and several on the Board swear by them. They are available in the 11mmx1.25 thread that the EA82 headbolts use (and, I presume, the EA71 studs); at least one Member (calebz?) has a kit.