Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1978 Brat to EA81 with D/R 4 or 5 spd conversion... Tips?

Hey everone.. I know this has probably been posted somewhere on the USMB before, however I couldn't find anything...

I am looking to convert my 78 Brat (EA71) to an EA81 with a matching 4 or 5 spd dual range tranny. I have already paid for and placed a order with Colorado Component Rebuilders in Denver for a rebuilt EA81, complete with intake mainifold, wires, starter, alt, etc.. I have found another local shop here in Denver that has a tranny, a 4 or 5 spd D/R with rear diff. Also, I have a fairly new rebuilt Hitachi 2 bbl carb on my EA71 now, would this carb work for the EA81 as well? Or am I looking at buying another carb as well?

Anyone that has done this conversion or that may have any tips on what I can expect would be very helpful since I have already comitted over $1200 for a quality CCR rebuilt engine with goodies.

Thank you all!

Steve in Denver

i've been wanting to do this to my brat as well... and here is what you'll need if you want to keep the fabing to a minimum...

find an 81 parts brat... it has to be an 81... they came with a d/r and the ea81... but here is where it gets tricky... if you want a 5spd you'll have to fab/modify the trans crossmember to fit it... i think the 81s only had the 4sp... and a newer trans doesn't quite fit it... you'll also need the belly-pan(front crossmember) where the engine sits... hopefully with all the engine mounts...

you'll also need the y-pipe from the 81... the exaust isn't the same...

now once you do that you can also add power steering if you fancy it...

the dual carb set up from your ea71 isn't quite long enough if i do believe... the manifold is a different lenth...

the diff from your brat will fit with the new trans... they have no difference...

driveshaft might be different... i have no idea...

hope that helps...