Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP - Broken Strut Mount on 83 GL

Man that stinks, sounds like no fun.

Did you try spinning it off FAST with an impact wrench?

I can probably get you the cap, which side do you need? Ive got an 84 4wd parts car out front. Yes out front, yes my neighbors dont like it. No I don't really care. :D

Im in a classy mood today!

do you have spring compressors on? if not, don't go any further, or you could get injured.

get some spring compressors (mcPherson type) and put them on. once the pressure is off then use a pry bar to hold the remaining mount bolt down while loosening the nut.

the last set of mounts I replaced, the tiny bearings were ground down to mush...... so if you get a used one, make sure the bearings are okay....

(the new ones I put on had teeny tiny little roller bearings between two big washers basically)

Yes - do nothing without the spring compressors. The springs are REALLY strong, and will hurt you a LOT if they get released that way. They get about 50% longer when not under load.....

And Miles is correct about the strut caps - there's writing on them that tells you which way to put them in based on which car you have, what drivetrain you have, and if it's power steering or not.....

GD

Got it. Get compressors for the spring (McPherson type) and work on it. Shawn, I need the passenger side top mount and it does appear from the specs that it matters not if it's 2W or 4W (Dave is right, I have a 2WD).

One more question. Should I seek a rebuilt disc brake caliper from an auto supply or get it from the board? I have not called an auto supply yet, but was wondering if I can even get a rebuilt for an 83 GL from them. I would love to give board members my business, but shipping costs come into play and they are not the lightest things you know. Hmmmmm, should I replace them as a pair?

Being in Subaru wilderness (Texas is not crawling with Sub's) is not cool.

Tim

Got it. Get compressors for the spring (McPherson type) and work on it.

Shawn, I need the passenger side top mount and it does appear from the specs that it matters not if it's 2W or 4W (Dave is right, I have a 2WD).

One more question. Should I seek a rebuilt disc brake caliper from an auto supply or get it from the board? I have not called an auto supply yet, but was wondering if I can even get a rebuilt for an 83 GL from them. I would love to give board members my business, but shipping costs come into play and they are not the lightest things you know. Hmmmmm, should I replace them as a pair?

Being in Subaru wilderness (Texas is not crawling with Sub's) is not cool.

Tim

Maybe todd has something.. I will dig out his email.. He's in the DFW area and he plays with old soobs. Steve and I are not too far away from you either.. Me being in Mckinney and Him being in Denton. We both have EA82 TurboWagons. Maybe we should all get together sometime. Steve knows awhere the yards are in Dallas that have all the old soob stuff