Ultimate Subaru Message Board

location of coolant thermosensor

will it have one wire or two wires coming off of it. i have found a sensor with one wire on it. is that it. i'm new with the subarus so please bear with me. thanks alot

It will have one wire, so looks like you are on the right track.

It could have one or two wires depending on carb type - it will be to the left of the EGR valve, and screws directly into the water passage of the manifold. IIRC it's a 19mm. The EGR pipe from the passenger head has a heat sheild held on by a single 10mm bolt. The temp sender is not accesible with a socket unless this sheild is removed first.

thanks for the help. i will try to find it tommorrow. i will post how it went.

It could have one or two wires depending on carb type - it will be to the left of the EGR valve, and screws directly into the water passage of the manifold. IIRC it's a 19mm. The EGR pipe from the passenger head has a heat sheild held on by a single 10mm bolt. The temp sender is not accesible with a socket unless this sheild is removed first.

Sensor for the dash guage is mounted on the rear of the intake manifold just to the left (passenger side) side of the carb; generally 2 pins in a "T" but could be one pin. The switch mounted on the side of the radiator is to turn the fan on and off by grounding it; only one pin on that one, but sometimes two. You can easily check for fan operation by taking the connector off the switch and touching it to a good ground with the ignition on. If the fan starts everything is okay but you might have a bad switch. When I said, might, it's because the grounding of the radiator might be defective. Look for a small wire (about 6 inches long or less) that grounds the radiator to the body of the car--this wire is located at the top of the radiator about 4 inches from the passenger side of the radiator. It's usually missing which causes the fan to not come on properly. If all else fails, run a ground wire from inside the car through a toggle switch and turn the switch on when the temp guage goes above half way. Good luck.